Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering joint binding

wagonryan

Hey I lifted my obs a while ago on forester struts, 1" spacers, and the leggy outback body lift kit. I used all the pieces for it except the forester traverse link bushings. instead I used 2 skateboard wheels on either side to space it.

I even used the leggy outback steering joint so I would assume everything would be fine..? It's been like this since I installed it. It makes the car less fun to drive as I have to strain to turn the car left. does this happen to anybody else? how do you fix it?

IMO this could be potentially dangerous. I would park it and fix it. First make sure the angles are acceptable for the joints to operate. Next make sure the shaft isn't bound due to being the wrong length. Over tightening the pinch bolts can also cause the joints to bind. If all this fails the joints may simply be dry of lubrication and bad. Good Luck!

I'll check the pinch bolts asap. when I got my alignment done they fixed it damn near perfect except a barely noticeable pull, but after I went wheeling, front end came down hard and knocked it out of whack and that bish doesn't wanna turn left.

I'm certain the shaft is the right length because my body lift uses all legacy outback components so it should work just fine. GD - you're probably right, when I got it, it looked a little weathered. if its rusty is there any way I can salvage it or is it toasted?

I still have my preza steering joint. i'll take the outback one off, test it and if it is beyond saving i'll see if I can get my buddy to add some length to the preza one. you just have to increase the length of it to = the height of the front subframe lift spacer correcto?

thanks

Edited by wagonryan

Is yours a fixed length shaft? If you can find a steering shaft like the second one in this pic that will expand and contract slightly in length (section painted white) that might help some.

The first one in the pic is from a '98 Forester and offers some flex, the second one is out of an EA82 Loyale and has a sliding section in the middle.

001.jpg

seems like the one I have is a fixed length with no flex. The forester one looks a lot closer in length to my impreza one. I shouldn't be able to use my stock joint if i've created a gap as it was designed without a gap.

thinking back to when I installed the outback one, I noticed it had a little surface rust, but i remember playing with it and the joints moved in the direction they were supposed to. I don't know what the deal is.

would the EA82 joint work for my application if it was cut to size? I like the idea of it being able to flex a little to avoid binding. this is my first lift so I don't really know whats causing the problem and how to remedy it. thanks for all your input.

All I can offer is that the Forester shaft also fits the EA81 and EA82 racks. It seems like those splined connections are pretty much all the same from my experience. Other than that you will probably just have to keep trying stuff until something works out. Perhaps a trip to the local junk yard to pick up a couple different styles? That's what I did and just cut up the one I liked.

My lift kit came with a custom made one. Due to geometry it still has a little tight spot in it, but thats what power steering is for. However 4 times a year i do find myself giving the joints a good soaking with white lithium grease and it seems to keep them happy.

How did you do a lift with the stock joint? That is over extending it a bit.

I've had that happen also. Loosen the joint and slide it off the splines far enough that it doesn't hit the end of the steering shaft and rub.

Try blocking up the front end of the car (wheels off the ground) and have a friend slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you watch and feel for what is binding.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to the pick and pull and found a 98 forester steering joint. Tried installing it but it still binds. Les schwab looked at it and came up with my steering rack was angled weird putting extra pressure on the bottom joint which makes it bind.. their remedy ''dont lift it"............. dumb. Also I think I may have stripped one of the steering rack bracket bolty things. Is there a way to rethread it? Never done it before.

Stupid carrrrrrrrr

fixed it! I feel stupid.

as previously stated i just had to slide the joint down a little to prevent the splined dealy hitting it. works perfect now besides that it could use a little grease. its squeaky squeaky, but works like it should for the first time since I lifted it. STOKED

thanks for all your input guys