Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Question relating to misfire codes

I have had an ongoing issue with sporatic misfires with my 98 OBW. No pattern as to when it happens, either under load or idle and it can come and go as it pleases. Swapped out the coil, new alt.

A week or so back I got ready to head to work and noticed that the light on my rechargable light was doing a flicker in sync with the rough idle of the engine for about 3 or 4 mins, then slowly faded away. This happened again last week.

Anyone have an idea what this could be and if it may be linked to the misfiring issue?

Thank you

If it was one of those "worldwide" rebuilt units they are complete JUNK and you wasted your money.

Subaru sells alternators re-manufactured to like new specification for that generation Legacy for about $75.

If this was going on before swapping the alternator, you probably need new plugs and wires. You might also double check your battery and ground connections.

75 $ i wish they are 285 $ at are subaru dealers

Was there a recall in Canada for the '95 to '99 alternators? The US part number is 23700AA34ARA

Buy online for $63 and have them shipped to Canada? Even with shipping it ought to be a lot cheaper than $285.

http://www.subarupartswebsite.com/OEMParts/subaru-153/2/23700AA34ARA.html

GD

there was a recall but none of them failed till long after waranty and still over 250 each + core subaru parts in canada are way over priced because they send them to canada from japan to vancouver then truck them to toronto then fly them back to vancouver then truck them to kelowna it makes no sense and adds 60 % to the price just in shiping subaru of canada has there head up there rump roast wonder if honda and toyota do thiss too

Checked the fuses this morning and all looked good, no sign of burning.

Yesterday it was at it's worst, misfiring bad enough at idle to shake the car. Also noticed hesitation until I got the rpm's up.

That is another frustration, the issue can be near non-existent or bad like yesterday.

You may need to replace the alternator. I suggest you check the AC voltage across the battery while the engine is running around 1,500 RPM. If you have more than .1 volt of AC voltage then you need to replace the alternator. Changing out the alternator may help with the misfire problem but can't say that for sure. It may be a seperate problem. If the misfire issue happened after the alternator change then the troubles might be related.

I read in another forum after doing some research that a guy replaced his upstream O2 sensor and it corrected a misfire issue. Mine has been on there for who knows how long and I read that they are good for about 100K, which I have long since exceeded.

well, yeah, anything stock is pretty old by now. Have the plug wires been replaced? With OEM? (this is an application that doesn't do well with typical aftermarket parts) many folks have also fixed misfires with new plug wires.

and, from what I've read - typical rebuilt alts are suspect.

is it always better after it's warmed up? I suppose the Engine Temp Sensor could be bad. On an older car, probably can't rule out a sticking IACV.

does it throw codes? Have you had them scanned?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan