Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Evil 97 OBS

cal_look_zero

Okay, okay, probably not as evil as some, but definitely a lot of fun and enough to get myself into trouble with.

My initial expectations of this car were to be a reliable, family friendly, grocery grabber with the ability to get up in the mountains and save myself from putting 10k miles a year on my CBR.

I purchased it from a very 420 friendly girl for $1500 with a cracked windshield, dead tires, interior that was atrociously dirty, and eau de pot. On the plus side; clean title, new transmission, and cheap cheap.

imagejpeg_2_3-1.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Washed it, buffed the paint out, straightened the hood a bit, and threw a set of 2005 WRX wheels on with some new rubber. Got the windshield fixed and went through a bottle of Febreze. Shaping up to be a nice little car.

DSC_3495_Small.jpg

DSC_3507_Small.jpg

But then, things got out of hand.

I had a thunk under hard acceleration, the clutch slipped, and the rear end rode like a lincoln continental.

So I tore everything apart, replaced pretty much everything in the front end, new rear struts, a new clutch, and some 04 STi springs for a little flair. Built myself a UEL/exhaust system while I was at it.

IMAG0014-1.jpg

DSC_3607_Small.jpg

But of course, that wasn't enough. I had a cold start piston slap in cylinder #4 and was burning a fair amount of oil. Guess I'll just throw a good used 2.2 in there and call it good, right?

NOPE! (chuck testa)

Frankenmotor!

20120315_112613.jpg

EJ25D Block and internals (balanced)

EJ22E single port heads with mild PNP and delta cams

Grimmspeed phenolic spacers

Cometic hybrid HGs

New OEM bearings and rings.

Group N engine mounts

300cc injectors

9mm oil pump

etc.

20120413_154418.jpg

Continued....

Along with doing the ***************in new engine, I had to get a little more comfy in the cabin. So I opted for a set of 03 WRX seats front and rear. And if I may add, they fit perfectly, and are so comfy!

20120408_134712.jpg

20120424_112107.jpg

(Finally got head rests for the rears, haven't gotten any new pics though...)

I began to throw a misfire code for my cylinder #4. After a couple of months of chasing things down, I finally nailed down that running a lightened flywheel is know to cause that. Oh well, at least I have new: injectors, coil pack, wires, plugs, fuel filter, FPR, fuel pump sock, soft fuel lines, and cam sensor... Interestingly enough, at my 5k mile break in, I switched from Rotella 15w40 to Rotella T5 (semi syn) 10w30 and am getting better performance, fuel mileage, and no CEL. Odd.

So since I ran out of money in the conventional sense, I began to enjoy the car:

20120728_200403.jpg

20120709_123109.jpg

20120712_124447.jpg

And that's about where we are now.

Bearing in mind, I brought the car home on January first; suffice to say I've been a wee bit busy!

Edited by cal_look_zero

• 6 months later...

Current buildout:

Engine:
EJ25D block and stock internals; balanced
EJ22E single port heads; port matched to exhaust manifold
Delta 200 “HP Grind” cams
Grimmspeed 8mm phenolic spacers
Custom made 2” UEL and axle back.
370cc side feed JECs injectors
Exedy stage 1 clutch kit.
Perfect Power SMT-6 Tuned by Pre (123hp/145tq)

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes
Alt Rush AT362 Wheels 17x8 45ET
Goodyear Eagle GT 225/45/17 Tires
KYB Excel G struts
2004 STi springs
Paranoid Fabrications ⅜” saggy butt spacers
WRX 17mm rear swaybar
WRX brake master cylinder and proportioning valve
GSP adjustable rear lateral links and trailing arms
2002 WRX disc brake swap
Goodridge SS brake lines.
Kartboy rear subframe lockout kit.
GAB strut bars
Group N Pitch stop

Interior:
2002 WRX seats front and rear
OEM WRX underseat subwoofer
Prosport Premium 52mm oil pressure gauge
Innovate MTX-L Wideband
2002 WRX Momo steering wheel
Blox 490 shift knob
Custom built short shifter
Kartboy shifter bushings
WRX pedal covers
Pioneer Bluetooth/USB head unit
Pioneer 6 ½” door speakers (Front)
Power Acoustik 4” door speakers (Rear)

Subaru All Weather Floor Mats
20% VLC tint

Aesthetics:
Hella Supertones
Clear corners
LED license plate lights
Projector fog lights
Rally Armor mud flaps
Badge of Ownership

533114_10151265109691852_2091721873_n.jpg

IMG_20130121_081107.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've always wanted to swap an old obs. I love these cars. Swap looks super clean! 

Thanks, I'm kind of way proud of it. I did EVERYTHING myself on it, built the engine from the block up, merged the wiring harnesses myself, and learned how to opensource tune it. I'm putting it on the dyno for a protune on Wednesday and will have some newer, much more impressive numbers to post up.

What crossmember did you use?

Looks like a 2L..

WRX wagon x member with stock p/s rack and shimmed stock gc control arms.

what is the power steering pump off of? (I am going to assume a turbo car but what model/year)

I think the remote reservoir might be the answer to my problem.

thanks

Off a bugeye WRX. I was going to run p/s-less, but it's easier to roll back to that later than to eliminate it and try to reinstall p/s later.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you like your prosport gauge? I'm stuck beetween that and a autometer sport comp II oil pressure gauge.. where did you mount yours by the way?

You HAVE to use teflon on the threads, otherwise you'll get a bouncy reading at idle. Otherwise it's decent. I have the little pocket next to my 12v plug under the stereo, I clearanced it out and used some double sided sticky to hold the gauge in. Mounted my boost and AFR gauges on the steering column, but they're a little more important to see real time as opposed to looking down for 1/2 a second.