Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will an MSD ignition work in an '81 suby?

1981 GL, 4wd wagon, EA81 engine

MSD module is a 5200 -- came on a 1967 landrover that's going to disel so I don't need it there any more. I'm wondering if I could put it on the suby. We're talking about selling the '99 and using the '81 as the daily driver instead (finances.....one of the two has to go, and the '81 actually handles the winters up here better -- low range in the snow). So trying to get the stock '81 running as well as possible.

Z

yes. mcbrat has a diagram on how you wire it, but its really simple. i have one in my vehicle as well.

basically, you connect the factory coil wires to the red and white small gauge wires, and the orange and black wires to the coil. supply the unit with power and ground and you are done.

Not much gain to be made, if any. All you are doing is making for a hotter spark. Thats assuming the factory coil isnt providing a hot enough spark as it is.

To get the most gain out of it, you will need to open up the gap on the plugs as well.

• 1 month later...