Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can Someone Come To My House And Help Me?

Help! I really need help. It would be great if someone in the Seattle area could come to my house and help me on my '90 Loyale.

First thing's first. I am in the process of changing my front passenger side axle. I barely managed to get the old one out and I'm unable to get the new one in. At first, I managed get the axle through the knuckle, but I couldn't get it over the transmission. So I took the axle out and managed to put it over the transmission. I tried pounding in the pin in, but I guess I put it in the wrong side. The pin got stuck and I was unable to remove it. So I tried using the "punch" and pound it out from the other side. Now that's stuck. So, on my transmission side of the axle, I have a punch and pin sticking out of both sides.... I also can't unbolt the two bolts for the leading rod (I think) since I don't have a breaker bar and the adapter for my torque wrench doesn't allow the socket to fit over the nut. So basically I'm at a stand still on this.

I'd also need help removing the bumper. This isn't as big of an "emergency" as the axle, but I'd like some help on this if I can. I have found the four bolts to remove the front bumper, but I can't really get to them. Again, help here would be appreciated. I'm trying to swap out my horns so I can be heard on the road.

So yeah, if you know how to replace an axle and you have the tools to do so, and you live in the Seattle area, please, come help me. :) I'm only 16, so I'm not exactly the best mechanically. Luckily I don't need my car fixed until Friday (advantage of working part time?), but I do need it fixed. Man, I'll give you gas money and maybe a bit more if you come and help my fix it. I really need someone since I don't think I can do it by myself (especially without the right tools), nobody else I know can fix these cars, and I certainly can't take it to a mechanic in the condition it's in (nor can I afford it). So any help would be really appreciated! Thanks! :)

Wont be able to make it up there till Mon.

Hmmmm, I actually no longer desperately need help, haha. I managed to finish installing the axle and put everything back together. I'm still interested in taking off the bumper and installing the horns, but I don't know when I'll do that. I might not do anything until after WCSS.

Bring your tools and your parts and take advantage of all the knowledge AT WCSS and get er done. OR buck up and use the same can-do attitude that got you to finish the axle on that bumper!

Have a little faith, you might struggle a little bit, but I bet you can do it.

Bring your tools and your parts and take advantage of all the knowledge AT WCSS and get er done. OR buck up and use the same can-do attitude that got you to finish the axle on that bumper!

Have a little faith, you might struggle a little bit, but I bet you can do it.

It just sucks though because I might only be able to go to WCSS for one day. I work the other two. Since it'd be my first time going to WCSS, I don't even know if I can just go on the third day, haha. But yeah, I'm sure I'll get it done. It's just those four bumper bolts are really hard to get to, haha. Plus I'm kinda sore from the two days of work on the axle. Crawling under the car, getting up, reaching into the engine compartment, going back to the knuckle, going to get tools, going back under the car, etc. I definitely need a creeper, haha.

It just sucks though because I might only be able to go to WCSS for one day. I work the other two. Since it'd be my first time going to WCSS, I don't even know if I can just go on the third day, haha. But yeah, I'm sure I'll get it done. It's just those four bumper bolts are really hard to get to, haha. Plus I'm kinda sore from the two days of work on the axle. Crawling under the car, getting up, reaching into the engine compartment, going back to the knuckle, going to get tools, going back under the car, etc. I definitely need a creeper, haha.

If you genuinely think that's hard at the age of 16, you are SCREWED when you get older. :popcorn:

Wait til you have a "real" job. My dad is 48, diabetic, knees are shot from falling out of airplanes, shoulder's all jacked up from being shot, and he still runs me into the ground on occasion.

If you genuinely think that's hard at the age of 16, you are SCREWED when you get older. :popcorn:

Wait til you have a "real" job. My dad is 48, diabetic, knees are shot from falling out of airplanes, shoulder's all jacked up from being shot, and he still runs me into the ground on occasion.

Haha, wow. Yeah, I know it'll get tougher when I get older. I just kinda have to "break myself in" a bit. For example, when I first got my job, after a 4 hour shift, I got home and was extremely tired. Now that I've been working for a while, I can go on an 8 hour shift and still have energy afterwards. Another example; when I got my old GL (with an EA81), I had to replace the valve cover gaskets (my first car repair). When I was doing the replacement, I thought it was really difficult and a pretty major repair. When I was finished, I was exhausted and whatnot. Now if I had to do the valve cover gaskets again, it'd take me a lot less time and it's be a really easy thing to do.

So as I do things more and more, I get more and more used to it, thereby decreasing the difficulty and exhaustion. If I were to do another axle replacement, it certainly wouldn't take me two days, I'd know what I was doing, and I wouldn't be tired afterwards. So long story short, I know things will get more difficult later in life and whatnot. It's just the first time I do things, I can get exhausted easier.

Actually - as you get older things get easier to some extent. Your body adjusts to the type of work you do and you exert less energy due to knowing exactly how to do the job and not having to redo your work or spend time spinning your wheels. I often run circles around the younger guys that hang around my shop - not because I work harder but because I get jobs done faster, I know where to be and how to use chairs, bring tools to where I'm working, use the right tools, use power tools where they save labor, work at benches when feasible, and generally move less, do more, and have a little extra time to relax between jobs. Don't get me wrong - when its 90 degrees in the shop I'm sweating and working hard - but on the whole I find that its easier now than it was when I was 18.

GD

:popcorn:

dont mess with old people, they may not get out of bed for the next 3 days, but they will kick your *ss right now.

Yeah, if I'm inexperienced like I am and impatient like I am (albeit a lot more patient than most teens), it's gonna be exhausting. This axle repair.... I went into it with a vague "textbook" knowledge on how to do it. I didn't necessarily know what tools I needed or anything really. I just knew the general concept as to what I'm doing. Again, if I had to do this repair again, it'd probably take me a couple hours and it'd be relatively easy. As I gain more and more experience working on cars, it becomes easier and easier. You also have to keep in mind that I've had no formal auto mechanic training and not one person to help me or show me. Every repair I've done in the nine months that I've owned a car have been me researching it online and doing it by myself. Might not sound like much since most "backyard mechanics" do repairs by themselves, but at least my first few repairs would've been nice to have someone with me with some sort of auto mechanic knowledge. But anyways, I can say one thing for sure; there's not many greater feelings than when you work hard on a repair and in the end, everything goes as planned. :) Oh, and I do hope to take an auto mechanic course at a local college or online, hopefully by the time I'm 18. So then I'll have the knowledge. :D

Yeah, if I'm inexperienced like I am and impatient like I am (albeit a lot more patient than most teens), it's gonna be exhausting. This axle repair.... I went into it with a vague "textbook" knowledge on how to do it. I didn't necessarily know what tools I needed or anything really. I just knew the general concept as to what I'm doing. Again, if I had to do this repair again, it'd probably take me a couple hours and it'd be relatively easy. As I gain more and more experience working on cars, it becomes easier and easier. You also have to keep in mind that I've had no formal auto mechanic training and not one person to help me or show me. Every repair I've done in the nine months that I've owned a car have been me researching it online and doing it by myself. Might not sound like much since most "backyard mechanics" do repairs by themselves, but at least my first few repairs would've been nice to have someone with me with some sort of auto mechanic knowledge. But anyways, I can say one thing for sure; there's not many greater feelings than when you work hard on a repair and in the end, everything goes as planned. :) Oh, and I do hope to take an auto mechanic course at a local college or online, hopefully by the time I'm 18. So then I'll have the knowledge. :D

First part I highlighted is a feeling I share also. I went from not having done nothing but put gas and oil in my 85 GLW when the HG's went, had it torn down to the short block in less than four hours. When I got the heads back from the shop, it was less than 3 hours til it was running again.

Second part, realistically NOT necessary. Especially the online part. I obviously don't know how you learn, but if I can't touch/see/feel the parts. I'm not really going to understand how they work or go together. If you're set on taking a class, see if you can audit the class the diesel tech guys are taking or whatever. Usually has a smaller fee, if there is one at all, since you're not getting graded or earning a degree. Good way to get knowledge on the cheap!

Another good way to go is next time you are bombing around your local area, if you see somebody wrenching on THEIR junk in their driveway/garage, stop by and ask them a few questions, and if you feel comfortable ask to pitch in and help. There's a ton of different ways to skin a cat as they say, and you can pick up a lot of cool tricks and tips about all sorts of stuff, not just subaru.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE use common sense and judgement if you follow that last piece, if the guy seems as green as you are when it comes to fixing stuff, probably not a real good mentor. Don't participate in any acts you feel are unsafe just because you now feel obligated by offering help.

Actually - as you get older things get easier to some extent. Your body adjusts to the type of work you do and you exert less energy due to knowing exactly how to do the job and not having to redo your work or spend time spinning your wheels. I often run circles around the younger guys that hang around my shop - not because I work harder but because I get jobs done faster, I know where to be and how to use chairs, bring tools to where I'm working, use the right tools, use power tools where they save labor, work at benches when feasible, and generally move less, do more, and have a little extra time to relax between jobs. Don't get me wrong - when its 90 degrees in the shop I'm sweating and working hard - but on the whole I find that its easier now than it was when I was 18.

GD

That's exactly how my dad is. "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" He's more than willing to let me bump my head for the sake of learning the right way to do it too! If you don't make mistakes, you don't have a whole lot to learn from.

Good job on the axle replacement. First one is always the hardest; yours looked like it was more difficult than most.

First ones I did on my old 86 were a M#$#%#%#$@#ER! On my current 85 wagon though, 20 mins a side, tops!

First part I highlighted is a feeling I share also. I went from not having done nothing but put gas and oil in my 85 GLW when the HG's went, had it torn down to the short block in less than four hours. When I got the heads back from the shop, it was less than 3 hours til it was running again.

Second part, realistically NOT necessary. Especially the online part. I obviously don't know how you learn, but if I can't touch/see/feel the parts. I'm not really going to understand how they work or go together. If you're set on taking a class, see if you can audit the class the diesel tech guys are taking or whatever. Usually has a smaller fee, if there is one at all, since you're not getting graded or earning a degree. Good way to get knowledge on the cheap!

Another good way to go is next time you are bombing around your local area, if you see somebody wrenching on THEIR junk in their driveway/garage, stop by and ask them a few questions, and if you feel comfortable ask to pitch in and help. There's a ton of different ways to skin a cat as they say, and you can pick up a lot of cool tricks and tips about all sorts of stuff, not just subaru.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE use common sense and judgement if you follow that last piece, if the guy seems as green as you are when it comes to fixing stuff, probably not a real good mentor. Don't participate in any acts you feel are unsafe just because you now feel obligated by offering help.

First ones I did on my old 86 were a M#$#%#%#$@#ER! On my current 85 wagon though, 20 mins a side, tops!

Yes, I love the feeling. I can imagine how great it felt for you to actually be able to drive your GLW after doing that! I really got the feeling when I replaced by front brake pads a week or so ago. Mainly because the passenger side cylinder was being really stubborn and it took some time to push it back in, haha. And I was proud because, well, my brakes still worked. :-p Then I was happy that everything worked after the axle repair, especially since you (kinda) have to take off a number of parts to remove/install the axle.

Second part, yeah, it's not necessary. But I do want to take a class if I can save up and afford it or something. Not only so it helps me fix my car, but I also would like to pursue a mechanic career. And the classes would teach me with working on other cars, which would be nice to know about. I would like an actual class with hands-on projects, but I could also learn online. An online course would definitely be easier to take (and probably cheaper), but yeah, working on a real car would be better.

I would love to go talk to someone else working on their car. Unfortunately, I live in a rich neighborhood where ~30% of cars are brand new 2010+ cars owned by teenagers that were given to them by their parents. Another 60% are owned by adults who have either brand new cars or late '90s. Those two groups of people take their cars to a mechanic to have fixed. People here are "scared" to buy fixer-uppers. My old $350 GL was the laughing stock of the community, all because it had a few dents and an exhaust leak. Ugh..., haha. The final 10% are people who have cars that they work on themselves. But they seem to do it in private. You NEVER see a car being worked on in someone's driveway/garage. I live next to busy intersection though, so whenever I work on my car, hundreds of people drive past me. :D I've lived here for ~11-12 years and I have not seen one person working on their car. I'd have to drive quite a ways before I find someone. The best I can do is actually talk to and get mentoring from a mechanic, but I only know one, and he is almost always busy. So only so much I can do, but I understand what you're saying. If I lived in a community where people buy more than just windshield wiper blades and coolant from the auto parts store, I'd definitely go up to someone working on their car.

Good job on the axle replacement. First one is always the hardest; yours looked like it was more difficult than most.

Yes, now I know what to do for any future replacements (which I hope I never have to do again :D ). In retrospect, I wouldn't say it was too difficult. It would have been a lot easier if I knew to disconnect the sway bar.... I disconnected the inner control arm bolt, but not the sway bar. Now I know what to do. Luckily, despite all the miles and my car having been owned by people all over the Northwest, there is hardly any rust (besides on the body), so bolts are pretty easy to get off. I did manage to cut my hand from my ratchet slipping off a tight bolt though. :-p

On a side note, I feel like I type way more than I need to. :-p

Dr. RX, I sent you a PM.

bumper tip i use a 4ft long extention and come from the far side with a 14 swivel socket

Hmmm, I'd have to see. That'd require me to buy more stuff though, haha. And I need to get my money back on some stuff. I bought a ratchet reducer kit (a cheap version) for using my torque wrench to loosen regular bolts. But the actual adapter sheered off. Bought another one. That one broke too. I'm down ~$9 now. Then I bought the deep 17mm socket for $7. It turned out that I never actually needed it during the axle replacement, and O'Reilly won't take it back because it's "used," although I didn't use it once. I'm down almost $20, which is pissing me off...

Dr. RX, I sent you a PM.

Hmmm, I'd have to see. That'd require me to buy more stuff though, haha. And I need to get my money back on some stuff. I bought a ratchet reducer kit (a cheap version) for using my torque wrench to loosen regular bolts. But the actual adapter sheered off. Bought another one. That one broke too. I'm down ~$9 now. Then I bought the deep 17mm socket for $7. It turned out that I never actually needed it during the axle replacement, and O'Reilly won't take it back because it's "used," although I didn't use it once. I'm down almost $20, which is pissing me off...

PLEASE stop using your torque wrench like a ratchet. Thats not why it reverses and you can make it not reliable for torquing things that count if you continue to do so.

PLEASE stop using your torque wrench like a ratchet. Thats not why it reverses and you can make it not reliable for torquing things that count if you continue to do so.

Okay, lesson learned then. I just use it to break nuts loose, since I don't have a breaker bar, yet. But I still need the adapters to torque smaller nuts to their spec. Keep in mind also that my torque wrench is a really cheap one, so it's not like I would use it on anything major as-is. When I decide to go up to the Pick-N-Pull to get good used cone and spring washers so I can do my bearings, I'll stop by Harbor Freight and pick up a breaker bar.

Dr. RX, I sent you a PM.

If you're buying cheap tools, go to Harbor Freight. They life-time warranty all their hand tools. All the stuff you've already broken would be a free replacement; no questions asked. Just bring in the broken bits. They have a 25" breaker bar (1/2" drive) on coupon sale right now. The box of adapters to fit and reduce the size to 1/4" is next to nothing. Edited by edrach

If you're buying cheap tools, go to Harbor Freight. They life-time warranty all their hand tools. All the stuff you've already broken would be a free replacement; no questions asked.

Yes, that's where I bought my torque wrench. It's the Pittsburgh 1/2" click stop wrench. It was on sale for $20, then with a coupon I got it for $10. The only issue with Harbor Freight is it's a 30-45 minute drive from my house, which especially if you need something during the middle of a repair, that's quite a drive. But yeah, O'Reilly is good for parts; Harbor Freight is good for (cheap) tools.

I buy a lot of stuff from harbor freight, most all my tool collection came from there, they got some low cost stuff, and the quality ain't to bad.

there's a few things I wouldn't buy from harbor freight including but not limited to: Parachutes, Fire Extinguishers, Pacemakers, Vaccines, Birth control devices, Bullet proof vests, and Scuba Gear.

other then that, it's a great store.

Quality isn't bad, but not necessarily great. I'd dish out the money and buy some quality tools if I had to do something major. But if it's like torquing the brake caliper bolt to "33–40 ft. lbs." (Chilton), accuracy is obviously not too concerning, ergo a cheaper tool is fine. Like I said, I got my torque wrench for $10, which is $25 cheaper than their retail price. That's a great deal considering what you can get at O'Reilly for the same price. :-p