Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Pad Options

The brake pads on my RX had started to squeak recently so I checked the pads and decided to replace them. I searched the forum for what other people were using and saw most used the organic pads as were OE. I went to Rock Auto and found some organic pads part #'s PD314 and PD291. The description said "Organic; Front; Coupe" and "Organic; Rear" and that they were ThermoQuiet. This car is my daily driver and I don't auto-X it or anything like that so I don't need any extra performance from the braking system.

I got the shipment today and the pad boxes say "ThermoQuiet Ceramic". From what I read about the ceramic and semi-metallic pads, they are ok replacements but will wear down the disc more quickly. Should I return these ceramic pads and get some actual organic ones or should I install them and live with it?

post-29794-136027658599_thumb.jpg

i would install them and live with it. ceramic pads are quite nice, i prefer them myself. not much dust and perform nicely. not sure what they do to rotors on subarus, i seem to replace those due to vibration up front anyway over time and the rears never really need replacing so i haven't worried about it.