Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cheap Webers and better adapter plates

A few days I posted a thread on head castings. In that posting I also included some information on Hitachi Carbs and their application to Datsuns. I concluded that the bolt pattern on the "Dastun Hitachi" and the Carburerted EA82 were one and the same. Today I made a trip to a local salvage yard and located a late '70's Datsun pick up with a Weber conversion on it. The Weber and the associated adapter plate cost me $25.00. I layed the adapter plate on the EA82 carb manifold and it was a perfect match. When I flipped the adapter plate over I noticed an indentation which may require either some aluminum welding and surfacing or maybe some JBweld and a file. I have looked at both the Weber adapter plate sold for the Subaru and the one sold for the Datsun "L" series engine. The Datsun is indeed "beefier" and in my opinion much easier to come by if you are a "salvage yard addict" like I am. The L series engines can be found in 1973-1982 Datsun P/U's and cars that are a model 510-610-710. A lot of these had Weber conversion done by their PO's.

The old adage about work smart not hard also has some hidden messages about work smart and it may also be cheap.

This is a very interesting post. I have all the adaptors here. And I have a good deal on Carbs. I will report on this. I will order a couple carb base gaskets from the auto parts store and see what is going on.

If this is all true. I have a heavy duty 2 piece adaptor that fits Datsun, early Toyota, Mitsubishi, Mazda B2600.

Jim

"The L series engines can be found in 1973-1982 Datsun P/U's and cars that are a model 510-610-710"

The L series motor can be found in the trucks too, the 521 in 72, the 620 from 73 to 79, the 720 in 1980 ONLY, and then for teh cars not sure the years..

The gen1 510 was only made from 68-73 and are hard to come by in the yards, and I am not sure what years the 610 and 710 were made... They did make a 510 in 78-80something, but I am not sure what motor it had.

I do know the trucks though:

73 had the L16 (1.6 liter)

74 had the L18

75 had the L20B (highest output L20B at 112HP)

76-80 also had the L20B, but wiht the HP output declining due to emissions (79 L20B had 98 HP, compared with teh 73 L16 which had 97)..

When looking on these cars, look on the side of the heads for the casting numbers. If you see "219" or "912" on the side of the head (or "A87" on the side with "219" cast into the front of the head, near the inspection plate) that is an SSS head and if you can get it out of the yard for a decent price, get it, it's worth about 300 bucks.

Also the A87 is a desirable head as most of them are closed chambered, and they also have the largest intake and exhaust ports of all the heads except the 219 SSS head.

I say this cuz in case anyone stumbles across one of these, they are worth some $$$.. Also, Offenhauser made a weber manifold for the L series four and six cylinder engines, which are worth about 50-100 bucks if you happen to find a Datsun with one of those manifolds, grab it, could pay for your weber :-P

Most of the six-cylinder L series motors (found in the 240, 260, and 280Z (Not the 280ZX, fuel injected) are either fitted with dual side draft carbs ($$$) or a single hitachi, and a lot of these can be found with webers as well...

Not like I was a Datsun freak before I got into soobs or anything......

Yes I too was, and still am if I let the urge hit me, Datsun Addict. I had a 510 which I modified for street racing. It was so hot that a man from Japan bought it from me and shipped it back to Japan to race in a special class. That was in 1985. I also built a 1200 Coupe and it too was also so quick that another man bought it from me in 1992 and took it back to Southern California to campaign Road Ralley's. I still have a complete collection of the orignial "Five and Dime" magazines and a copy of the complete suspension "blue printing" for the 1200 Coupe.

I got into Subarus because they are 4wd and use the "boxer configuration" engine which I find to be a challenge for finding interchangeable parts, ala salvage yard, that can make them faster. There is a philsophy which states "with enough money and todays technology we can do anything". I am from the old school (I am in my 60's) that says study first and then create.

This is a great board and I enjoy the idea interchanges.

YEPABUS

That is interesting.... I was just looking for parts for my daughter's '81 210 DLX on ebay and found a brand new weber (actually Holley 5210) kit for the L series 4 cyl, with the adapter. It was only $75.00 and it never did sell. I bet it got relisted.........