Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O.C.D.'s 1980 Brat - "The Squirrel"

O.C.D.

is this the first gen1 brat with aribags? lol

Nice but can you even get into the brat now??? LOL!!!

Well, you'd think not.  But I can get in and out just fine and there is a little leg room like before.  Only real issue is my head is about 1/4" from the roof as opposed to 3/4" like before.

is this the first gen1 brat with aribags? lol

Yes indeed.  lol

OCD, have you tried checking the Mitchell manuals at the downtown Penrose library, in the reference section downstairs? Just about anything you would need to know is in those, carbs, engines, trannys, wiring, etc.  I can't remember if they have one that goes back to the '79 or not, but from memory (I moved to FL last year) they had a fairly complete collection of the import manuals....minus the electrical schematics for the 1988 GL thanks to a thief someone too cheap to spend $1 to copy them  :banghead:

OCD, have you tried checking the Mitchell manuals at the downtown Penrose library, in the reference section downstairs? Just about anything you would need to know is in those, carbs, engines, trannys, wiring, etc.  I can't remember if they have one that goes back to the '79 or not, but from memory (I moved to FL last year) they had a fairly complete collection of the import manuals....minus the electrical schematics for the 1988 GL thanks to a thief someone too cheap to spend $1 to copy them  :banghead:

In this day and age I never would have thought about the library, odd.  I just might look into that if I can't snag an FSM.  I have been scouring the web for free downloads with no luck.

Well I finally got some time to try that silly nut again.  Frankly I am shocked at how hard it was to get off.  1/2" impact at 150 PSI didn't touch it!!!  So I listened to Ivan's idea on using the Dremel and low and behold I got it off.  Damn thing popped as it gave too?!  Must have been some serious tension on it.

Anyhow.  The gear was free and once removed all went smoothly

IMG_0065_zps31e3b483.jpg

And here is the carnage count.  Luckily I ordered a new nut and washer already.

IMG_0066_zps12c90d17.jpg

4wd transition housing clean as a whistle.

IMG_0064_zps7ae1156d.jpg

And what I needed to get too the whole time to split the case.

IMG_0063_zps0159403d.jpg

And finally!!!!!!

IMG_0070_zpsd35ef51d.jpg

IMG_0069_zps3f8a8f89.jpg

IMG_0068_zpsbda5c73f.jpg

IMG_0067_zps640631d0.jpg

And after countless hours of cleaning and fixing seals I found the reason for all of the leaking on the Squirrel.  Believe it or not, the trans output seal was the only thing I should have needed to change on this entire build and it would not have leaked anymore.  Oh well.  Whoever cracked this case before didn't replace the seal?!  I can tell this is original based on dry rot.

IMG_0071_zps157f5bc5.jpg

IMG_0072_zps1d60ab95.jpg

Picture do it no justice - the seal literally crumbled in my hands.

IMG_0073_zps91d88402.jpg

So I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the housing and did the output seals as well.  Easier than on the car and no messing with proper shimming.

IMG_0074_zps639e392a.jpg

IMG_0075_zpsf9f72a28.jpg

So for all of this work I am on the downward slope of the project (drive-train wise).

IMG_0076_zpsbf6a5350.jpg

Gonna seal her up tonight and then clean the undercarriage a bit. 

• Like 1

OCD, Great details on the build.  I just rebuilt my carb and think I have all the pieces back in the right spot.  Did you get the answers you needed there? I can get some pics and try to post if you need them.   ??

Wow, thanks Sancofw!!  I can now see that I need to build a few of those connecting rods.  I am missing like 3 of them.  I will have to go off of your pics so don't take them down, lol.  THank you for taking the time to post those and link me to them!

Not much to update as I am waiting forever for parts from SOA.  I did get the trans re-sealed and about to be completed. Can't do much without the magical nut that was such a pain to get off.

So I am left with some other options.

While I wait though can anyone tell me the correct gear oil and correct amount of oil for this trans?  I have found that 75-90 is probably the right oil but I cannot find the amount needed.  And silly question but where do I fill it?  Do I funnel through the dipstick or?

Once rebuilt I will mate her up to the engine and drop her in.  Some more body work and then she is going up for sale, lol.  Time for a new project me thinks.

Edited by O.C.D.

....FOR SALE?!?!?!

Yup, probably.  I never keep what I build.  I like to move on to other projects..

Basically I eat all the costs and time for the fun of it.  My last motorcycle, my last Jeep, etc. they all go forward to new owners.

Edited by O.C.D.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to work on the Squirrel.  Finished buttoning up the transmission.  SO, I am getting really close to dropping the combo back in. 

All new seals and gaskets all around. Tore the starter apart as well.  Modified shift linkage to use standard 5/16 hardware as well.

IMG_0078_zps3e2785e9.jpg

IMG_0080_zpsd0af88a6.jpg

IMG_0081_zpsac014715.jpg

When I got the Brat there were no reverse lights as the switch leads were sheered off.  So I rewired both the reverse and 4WD switches.

IMG_0083_zpsdc905ef0.jpg

IMG_0082_zps01dfa0de.jpg

IMG_0084_zpsbeedd79e.jpg

New shifter bushings installed as well.  The gear shifter was so worn it lost the button on top.  But I could still put the bushing on.

IMG_0087_zps0cb4391b.jpg

IMG_0090_zpsf8ff46cd.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsd9abbd7c.jpg

New tie rod dust covers to seal it up as the others were disintegrated.  And this is what the cups looked like.  Dry as a bone.

IMG_0091_zps497c7c4b.jpg

IMG_0086_zps11b3bde9.jpg

Cleaned up the 4WD shifter bracket as well.

IMG_0085_zps2a150d13.jpg

Edited by O.C.D.
  • Like 1

One of my gripes has been with the remnants of the rubber suspension components.  I can not find anything from SOA for the sway bars and those are completely rotted out.  But I was able to get the leading rod bushings.  Figured I might as well do that while the transmission is out.  The lighter colored stuff in the picture is the old bushing.

IMG_0092_zps9ccfa67a.jpg

Here be the new ones.

IMG_0093_zpsd70e54da.jpg

Turned out I needed to drop the trans cross-member as the rods would not move cause they are welded to the control arms, duh.  Benefit is I needed to clean it anyway.  Here you can see the nut off and the one bushing out.

IMG_0098_zps9944f088.jpg

IMG_0096_zps6745a8d4.jpg

IMG_0097_zps8ab9afed.jpg

Hmmmm....  Guess they were bad?  This is the best one too.

IMG_0094_zpse9e0446a.jpg

IMG_0095_zpsa7b8579c.jpg

Probably about ten pounds of oil soaked dirt on the cross member!!!

IMG_0100_zps1fd3396f.jpg

All cleaned up.

IMG_0103_zps026aa6ca.jpg

IMG_0102_zps846bc32a.jpg

Edited by O.C.D.

Forgot to add I have a Weber and adapter plate coming this week. I was missing too many parts on the Hitachi and I think it sucks anyway, lol. So the carb is outta there once the engine and tranny go back in. Should be firing it up soon!