Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl 4wd wagon

I just did 650 miles highway to get to Port Townsend and back. went flat out as fast as I could most of the time, which was about 75-80. the shudder from my suspension almost caused me to need dental work. But i got 30 mpg from an emission gutted hitachi with a worn throttle shaft, larger tires, and a bad vacuum advance. I think my clutch slips a little too since it shudders bad when you throttle at that speed.

the car will get good mileage on its own. I stand beside stock tires and proper maintenance. also use good quality gas, chevron, shell, etc. Dont put arco in your car.

Nice work, djellum. I'm glad you did it so I didn't have to use my car for the test. Next I'd like to find out how far a gl can jump before an axle brakes. Can you get me that by the morning?

Considering the info. I may try a 1 to 1.5" lift and I'll keep some 14" wheels and tires around for long trips. How big of a tire can you go before you are in danger of rubbing (particularly got to watch the sharp turns)?

I cant tell you that if you do a front sumersault at about 40 mph in a subaru you will break and axle. I can also tell you that Chevette front shocks can only handle about 2-3 ft of air before they shatter into pieces. Thats about all I know on that subject.

street driving I havent noticed any bumps. the tires dont even look very stuffed. the ones I bought were 195/70/r14 bridgestones that were rated from the factory at 24.9 inches in diameter. Ive read here that you dont need a lift for 25 inch tires.

of course if you went offroad it would be different. I havent fully articulated to see if they rub then, but I doubt it would be serious.

I wouldnt go with a lift or tires as a spare set. You would not save enough gas if any to offset the cost of the few hundred you would spend. If you want to be taller or go offroad, do it. If not I wouldnt worry about it.

heres a pic of mine with the 14's. you can see there is really plenty of room.

IMG_0114.jpg

Next I'd like to find out how far a gl can jump before an axle brakes.

I've since come up with some reliable data for that. The answer is, "all the way to the bottom".

Here are a couple of good videos I found:

That's a nice looking ride. No lift and still sufficient room for the 14's.

• 3 months later...

Well I didn't read the whole story here but I got the jest is to get good mpg..Right. Well years ago they sold a fancy vacuum guage called a "Mile o metter"I think..anyway as far as I know this was tested and proven to save MPG if used right..I did a "link" called mpg vs rpm's and we all came to the conclusion that running at 4 thousand rpm's got the best mpg.I have 14 inck tires on 2 of my brats and i don't even use 4th gear at almost 70 mph. On long cruses I usually run 3rd gear ,4 thousand rpm at 60-65 mph and got the best milage. Using 4th gear I got lower vacuume and almost was "luggin it" at 70....Now back to the mile o meter.It showed you how to drive using the highest vacuume witch give you the best mpg.. .check out that MPG vs RPM thing, It had lots of info.. Take care and Merry Christmas( If that applys) Todd the Old Subaru Freak:banana:

Well I didn't read the whole story here but I got the jest is to get good mpg..Right. Well years ago they sold a fancy vacuum guage called a "Mile o metter"I think..anyway as far as I know this was tested and proven to save MPG if used right..I did a "link" called mpg vs rpm's and we all came to the conclusion that running at 4 thousand rpm's got the best mpg.I have 14 inck tires on 2 of my brats and i don't even use 4th gear at almost 70 mph. On long cruses I usually run 3rd gear ,4 thousand rpm at 60-65 mph and got the best milage. Using 4th gear I got lower vacuume and almost was "luggin it" at 70....Now back to the mile o meter.It showed you how to drive using the highest vacuume witch give you the best mpg.. .check out that MPG vs RPM thing, It had lots of info.. Take care and Merry Christmas( If that applys) Todd the Old Subaru Freak:banana:

Todd has the best deal here-The guy wants MPGs!! The Vac. gauge is the easy & best way to do it. Look at BMWs {SORRY 4 Reference} they have THE GAUGE-MPGs-It works! I think he should buy a 85-88 ea81 2wd.hatchback! It was the last of ea81s Super Basic-vinyl floor-seats-heater-GRT.MPGs-34-38 and you still do 75mph and haul stuff:):) Or if he doesn"t have a FI ea82 get 1! To clear up models EA82s Time belts 1985-1994 85-88 had carbs exc turbo, 88-94 FIs. But good old fuji heavy had to throw some carbies in the mix up till 89 :horse: