Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 subaru Legacy Brighton can I put in Outback Springs

Subieresurrect

I have a 1999 Legacy Brighton That Is already beat the crap out of and well I figure it would be way better to have more clearance so it looks like it has a reason to be beat up. Anyways can I put Outback springs and Shocks in it to give it lift or will this mess with my Axles? I would love to do a few inch lift but not sure how to go about this on a Subaru? any advice??

Thanks so much

Sebastian

Springs don't do anything for you, it's the struts that make the height difference between the Outbacks vs non.

You may want to swap the rear trailing arm mounts with Outback ones too, it helps center the rear wheels in the wheel well rather than having them tucked toward the front. They bolt on to the body under the rear seat.

No issues with axles or alignment angles doing outback struts on a brighton. You also end up with more ground clearance than an Outback because you don't have the subframe drop blocks.

Sounds like a win win Situation for me. I need to replace the struts any ways they are pretty much shot.

Any recommendation on brands and what do ya think about using used struts?

Also anything I should be worried about on the front struts?

thanks

Seb

1999 subaru Legacy brighton

1998 Subaru Legacy

1995 subaru Legacy

1991 Subaru Legacy

1986 Subaru Dl

Used struts are fine as long as they are good. As far as new, go with KYB st.ruts, and just use the old springs. I have never used the trailing arm brackets and haven't had any issues. The wheel isn't that close to the front of the wheel well. I can imagine if you tried to squeeze some huge tires in there it would be, but you'd run into other issues as well by that time. If it was an Impreza, I would definitely use the trailing arm brackets though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 97 Leggy that I run OB struts on (and I got some 15" wheels/tires to get a little more lift) and have had zero issues. I did go with the trailing arm hangers and found it helps with tire rub while going slow through really rough terrain, but I don't think it's necessary. The combo makes for a decent cheap lift that helps get around in the sticks without beating the ************ out of the underbits.

Gonna build a tubular front bumper and get some extra lights on it this winter:D