Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello folks :)

I have a problem with my car, but I don't even know how to describe it :P

I have noticed that -even at low speeds- there's some "delay" between a movement of the steering wheel and the "reaction" of the back of the car. (the front seems to react immediately, like it should). It's like the car rear tires are flat -which are not-, or like a car with a rear live axle that is not well supported, or with a broken Panhard bar... which this car doesn't have.

If I -for example- move the steering wheel abruptly to the left, I would expect the car to turn almost immediately. Instead, there seems to be a slight delay before the rear of the car "follows". Is it possible/common for *something* to get worn in the rear of the car that may produce this movement? The other alternative is something worn in the steering system, but it would have to be something that involves both tires -I think-.

Ideas?

Year engine transmission miles always needed for things like this. Does the car track straight normally?

Are we possibly talking the beginings of torque bind?

How does the car perform in a tight circle.

When was the last time it had an alignment.

I can go on, but ned some history on the car first.

Well... I don't think I can't add a signature here, so I gave the important information on my picture :D '99 OBW w/ EJ22, except it's now closer to 167K miles. Transmission is automatic.

The car tracks correctly and there isn't any torque bind. You can make tight U-turns all day without issue. The last alignment was probably in a previous reincarnation, though :/

CNY_*: I don't feel any play in the steering wheel, it's just the sensation of the rear of the car sliding somewhat when turning. Is the rear subframe mounted on bushings of some sort?

Check the rear trailing arm bushings where they attach to the body under the back seat on the bottom of the car. They're the links that come straight forward from the rear wheels. When those bushings start falling apart they create interesting handling, and I've seen a bunch of them wear out.

• 3 months later...
Check the rear trailing arm bushings where they attach to the body under the back seat on the bottom of the car. They're the links that come straight forward from the rear wheels. When those bushings start falling apart they create interesting handling, and I've seen a bunch of them wear out.

Slight necroposting, but relevant in light of a newer thread about this...

So... how should I check the rear bushings? I lifted the rear of the car and tried moving things around, but I couldn't detect any significant amount of movement (have to do it again with more light, though).

More importantly: how do you replace those bushings? I think I remember there are some bushings in the front suspension that are a pain in the lower back to replace. Are these easy-ish?

Also check the cross-member to body mounting area. I have had a 1st gen legacy that had 3 out of the 4 bolt holes rusted away even though the body was not really rusty at all. It had a very floaty feeling. Swapped out the cross-member and put another 100,000 on it.

how long have you had the car?

has it always been this way?

or is it a recent development?

did it develop slowly or suddenly?

if it is an auto trans, just for grins, put the FWD fuse in under the hood and go for a test drive.

it is always surprising to me how these cars drive differently in FWD.

Sorry for the delay...

Your answers, in order:

- I've had the car for a year and a half

- nope... it wasn't like that originally, as far as I remember. I think I realized something wasn't right around May-June or so

- I can't really tell... I'm really picky with this kind of stuff, so after I first realized it was doing something weird I've paid more attention to it. I have the impression it's worst now

The tires are not particularly worn, but I can probably have them rotated and see if something changes. I'll keep you posted