Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'90 Legacy. Front struts went out completely

Hello,

I have a '90 Subaru Legacy. It had the lift feature for raising it up and down for better clearance. Last month, the front struts went out completely. It now has totally ridged suspension in the front and is not drivable. I would like to replace the front struts with non raise-able struts maybe from a different year Subaru. Is this possible?

Hi again Nipper,

With all due respect, nothing personal, but, I'm a member of several forums. The other forums I'm involved with are usually very helpful and will answer a question. Every now and then, there is someone who comes up with the same novel idea....."look it up" which is no help at all. On this forum I was hoping to get some help from someone who is knowledgeable on the subject and could answer my question. Not someone who comes up with the "look it up" solution.

Sincerely.

Ron

I am on many forums myself, and sometimes "search" works very well, because that is what i would have to do, and others would suggest, or do it for you, use the search feature. That is what it is there for.

You also may learn quite a lot by reading a few different threads on it.

Otherwise you may have to wait a few days (as is happening now) for someone to kick in with the part numbers suggestions methods etc.

So with all due respect, use the search, use google, use the resources at hand. Also on this board, it will sometimes do an automatic search and list the results that might help at the bottom.

If this seems to not be helpful, finding information on your own, researching it, getting to know all possible solutions then I shall withdraw from this thread.

Heavens even I use search quite a lot since this board has been around quite some time, and is full of useful information if you just bother to use the resource at hand.

because this is a very common occurance, there are many threads that discuss the issue and what to do about it - hence the suggestion to use the search feature.

that said, sometimes the search here can be frustrating for a new person that isnt sure what to search for.

all that aside, you basically want standard coilover struts to convert it, 1990 thru I believe 1994 should fit with no issues at all*. You want the struts, the coil springs and the "top hats" - the air strut tophats will not work. Used is fine to start out with, so junkyard hunting is great place to start. You want the complete strut assembly from hub, to top - 2 bolts at the bottom, 3 small bolts on top, out it comes.

I have done this on my car, which is a 1990 LS wagon that had the adjustable air struts.

removing the air struts is also very straight forward, only thing different is the air line that feeds them. you will need to disable the air compressor, I believe that the control module is under the drivers seat (it has been 4 years since I did mine). Just make sure you dont unplug the transmission control module, as it is also under there.

If you find that the struts are weak, simply order a new set and swap them out. expect to pay about $80-100 per strut for new.

just my personal choice, but i would order the new struts, then go get the complete used assemblies - all 4 - from a junkyard, so that when the new struts arrive, you can swap over the coil springs & tophats, and install once and be done with it for a while.

Like I said, it has been 4 years since i did mine last. =) they are about due for replacing again, getting a little bouncy...

*if you are feeling adventurous, there are several threads about using taller struts and springs on these cars for just a little extra ground clearance. But you will have to search for that info if you want to go there. For a newbie, i suggest going stock to start with.

Edited by heartless

just an added note about searching for yourself...

one may not like it when someone suggests "look it up" or "use the search", but in all honesty, one can learn a LOT from doing so.

And, because some things are fairly common occurrences, such as air strut failure on a 20 plus year old vehicle, it does get discussed frequently, and some folks that have been around a while get tired of repeating themselves over and over again. (put yourself in their shoes for a moment. do YOU like having to repeat the same information over and over again?) I have been involved with this board, in its various incarnations, for more than 10 years now, and I see this happen all the time.

Also, using the search can often reveal the solution to a given problem much faster than waiting around for someone to reply to your post with useful information - which can sometimes take days - especially in the summer months when many are out enjoying the weather, doing things with family, etc, etc.

just food for thought, with all due respect. :popcorn:

Edited by heartless