Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension improvements for Subaru Loyale

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Thanks alot for your write up. I will visit a few local yonkers. I am thinking that Loyale and xt6(rears) are the same overall length, just have to be sure to get a 4wd model, but no, we will be using the 4 Runner struts. Those are practically identical to the 4wd loyale rear strut. Except strong. That's what I want, something that does not bottom out or break easily. I do not jump it, at least not yet.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I used front coil springs from a '89 Honda Accord, in the Rear of my Subaru, along those 4Runner shock absorbers, they are working Awesome since many years ago; more information & photos, here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

• 3 months later...

Yes, of course.

Not much taller but identically stiffer than the ones I used on the Rear,

and works awesome, without giving any camber issues, read further here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

The red arrow points to a web link

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 months later...

I found that the Front Coil Springs from the Kia Sephia (first and second generation), are almost identical to the front coil springs on the Subaru Loyale; but the Kia Sephia ones have a thicker wire (around 2 mm) and the Sephia ones have a slightly bigger total radius, but they fit on the Subaru's shock absorbers; and the Sephia ones have an increased load capabilities. Let me Show you:

Sephia%20Vs%20Loyale.jpg

Loyale%20Vs%20Sephia.jpg

They're almost identical,

but here you can see that the Real Difference, is on their Load Capabilities:

Comparison%20Between%20Sephias%20coil%20

Even the first gen Sephia, has an increased load ratio than the second gen Sephia.

Initially, I searched for stiffer Coil Springs for the Front of this models of Subaru, on year 1999; Because my 2.7 Wagon (now dead) Project, had the Heavyweighed ER27 engine, plus a Fiberglass & Metal sheet Reinforced Front Bumper; I Needed Something Stronger than the EA82's coil Springs to better carry that extra weight.

So, using "my own method" which I described with details on the writeup whose Link is Above; I Found that a suitable replacement are the front coil springs from a Ford Tempo; which looked pretty similar to the Subaru ones, but having around two more Turns and a thicker wire.

I found those Tempo Coil springs on year 1999, already taken outside their car; (they only had a Mark done with white paint marker on them, that said: '94 Tempo) and originally I used them on my Loyale 2.7 wagon project; but since it is dead (More info, ~► Here) I decided to remove certain parts from it to make my EA82 Weberized Wagon (Now renamed as the BumbleBeast) a Better car, with the Better parts from the two; including the front Tempo coil Springs. 

So, I installed those Tempo's Coil Springs on the front of my "BumbleBeast" and those add to the Front Suspension the Same Firm & Sporty Feeling that the Rear suspension obtained with the Above written Modifications.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The Ford Tempo Coil Spring's total radius -diameter- is Half inch (½") smaller than the Subaru ones, but that is Not a problem, I Drive my Subaru "BumbleBeast" with them since Years ago and they doesn't "Shift" nor make any clunk noise. Somehow these front coil springs from the Ford Tempo, aids to keep the Camber / alignment within specs; other coil springs that has been tested on the front of these Subarus, makes the camber to be even Worse...

According to the info I obtained back then from the Junk Yard's salesman, the Front coil Springs came off a basic 1990's "Second Gen" Ford Tempo with in-line 4 Cylinder engine and manual transmission; Those are "Non-Progressive" Coils, so they measure the Same between each turn. I searched on internet for The Part Number for those Ford Tempo Front Coil Springs,

So those should be:

~►   MOOG CC854    for "Moog" Brand.

~►   NCP 2775375   for "Napa" Brand.

TempoCoilSpringsonSubaruShockAbsorbers.j

Please read further details and see more Photos, on my Writeup. Kind Regards.

• 11 months later...

Ok, I pulled out the info. I have files on each Subaru I have and keep the receipts and notes. 

So, on the front of my 88 Rx, I purchased 1990  XT struts; Monroe part# 32271877, & 32271876. One is Rt and one Lt, but the invoice doesn't say, just check on RockAuto and make sure you have the Left and Right. Then I put the stock springs back on.

Rear; 1998 Toyota 4Runner, 2.7, Monroe Strut, which is for the "front of the 4Runner", part # 801352. I purchased 2 of them. 

I also purchased 88 Rx Moog strut mounting hardware, Part# K90232, two of them, which I ended not using so you don't need those, and I also purchased 88 Rx Strut Bellow, part # 901076 (901-076@RD1), 2 of them.  

The only modification I had to do was, on the rear where the bottom of the strut goes into the saddle, I had to put a spacer washer on each side of the strut to remove side to side slack. But it fit perfect with the two washers. I reused my rubber pieces on top of the strut, they were still good. 

Here are some pics of the install. 

IMAG05241.jpg

This is the rear.

IMAG05251.jpg

This is the front.

It definitely stiffened it up and I always felt the Rx sat slightly lower in the rear from the front stock. But afterwards it has the rear sitting slightly higher than the front and it definitely gave her some more attitude. I will get a pic the whole car when I put the rims back on; painting them and center caps. 

Hope this helps.  ;)

Edited by Naked Buell

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the compressed length of these Toyota shocks is 3 inches longer then the compressed of the stock, so is it necessary to run an over sized spring such as the Honda spring with these? Otherwise wouldn't the weight of the rear end rest entirely on the shock and cause it to fail?

Actually no. You could put your stock back with it but this mod was stiffer and for the offroad here and there. :) It stiffened things up a bit but I always thought the suspension lacked a little stock. Especially when you have more than two people and supplies. 

• Like 1

The 4 runner struts only have 4" of traval vs stock 6" ive found that nissan 300zx front struts fit and have 5 3/4" of traval and are the same size as the 2wd stock struts but have a much thicker shaft and because its a performance car there are hundreads of options like coil overs available just about anywhere 300zx struts with stock springs 1 1/2"-2" lift what im running right now add honda strings your looking at around 3-4" of lift if my guestimations are correct

• Like 1

I think there 1990 struts that I used its off of the v2 300zx so I think 89-94 or something like that the really nice thing about these are there built for a heavy high performance vehicle and there is a massive aftermarket supporting that rig so alot of strut options I'll snap a pic next time I'm at the shop

Edited by ferp420

• 2 months later...

The 4 runner struts only have 4" of traval vs stock 6" ...

Yes, I've stated that on my Writeup.

Also the Coil Springs won't let you compress the Shocks any further than 4"

This setup is working Flawlessly on my Subie, since many, many years ago...

... on the front of my 88 Rx, I purchased 1990  XT struts; Monroe part# 32271877, & 32271876 ... 

... Rear; 1998 Toyota 4Runner, 2.7, Monroe Strut, which is for the "front of the 4Runner", part # 801352. I purchased 2 of them ...

... It definitely stiffened it up and I always felt the Rx sat slightly lower in the rear from the front stock. But afterwards it has the rear sitting slightly higher than the front and it definitely gave her some more attitude. I will get a pic the whole car when I put the rims back on; painting them and center caps. 

Hope this helps.  ;)

Yes, it Helps, thank you for Sharing. Thumbup.jpg

We're waitin' to see the Before / After pics.

Kind Regards.

• 1 year later...

Hey! So this write up looks great for what I’m trying to do to my 91 Loyale. Plus it’s nearly impossible to find stock suspension parts for that vehicle anyway, so it kind of fell right into place. Regardless, I was just wondering if you replaced the stock 13” wheels for a larger size as you said it technically put an (almost) 2” lift on the vehicle. I’d rather keep my little 13” wheels just cause tires are cheap for them and it’s Nearly impossible to find 4 lug wheels unless you get genuine Subaru ones which are pretty expensive. What’s your advice/experience in that regard? @Loyale 2.7 Turbo

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, Winterpie0220 said:

... it’s Nearly impossible to find 4 lug wheels unless you get genuine Subaru ones which are pretty expensive. What’s your advice/experience in that regard? @Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Regarding Wheels, my friend Thomas, wrote a great write up,

about how to use a 6X139 wheel on these 4X140 Subies

see it Here: ~►  

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did this mod and the front suspension for 200 bucks.  Everything worked perfectly as you said except the rear springs (honda accord part). I had to cut 1 and a quarter turns off the coils because i couldnt get them compressed enough to fit on.  I did use the monroe shocks because i couldnt get the kyb's. The shock rod seemed to be a little shorter on the part i got compared to the picture you posted. Regardless, i am very please, thanks! Still have to make the spacers for the front.

After

0610191012~3.jpg

Before

20180802_202708.jpg

Edited by Miggysmalls
Should have proofread