Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension improvements for Subaru Loyale

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

On 8/26/2021 at 1:49 PM, Ionstorm66 said:

So I have had terrible luck with any of the 4runner rear struts, they are still bending or blowing out. ... I think the issue is im bottoming out the struts while wheeling, as the stock bump stop is too short. ...

The front springs/struts are amazing still, no issues there.

Well, I'm glad that the Suspension mod worked fine for your Subie on the Front,

but I really cannot understand the reason why your subie Can bottom those thick Toyota shock absorbers,

installed in the Rear along the Honda coil springs for more load capability, I simply Can not understand. :o

I bet there's something Wrong with your Subie's rear suspension, maybe with the U-joint...

There are Many, Many other EA82 Subies running fine with the Suspension mods I described on the Writeup

and no other one but you reported such a bottoming issue with that Strut combo...

I hope that you'll find the issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 9:31 PM, Loyale 2.7 Turbo said:

Well, I'm glad that the Suspension mod worked fine for your Subie on the Front,

but I really cannot understand the reason why your subie Can bottom those thick Toyota shock absorbers,

installed in the Rear along the Honda coil springs for more load capability, I simply Can not understand. :o

I bet there's something Wrong with your Subie's rear suspension, maybe with the U-joint...

There are Many, Many other EA82 Subies running fine with the Suspension mods I described on the Writeup

and no other one but you reported such a bottoming issue with that Strut combo...

I hope that you'll find the issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Kind Regards.

I definitely just need more spring. I threw some used 4runner springs on. It had almost no travel, but no bottoming out! So I need something between the 4runner and Honda springs.

• 3 months later...

So I ended up finding some 4cylinder, 2wd, no ac 4running springs. They are perfect. I'm almost level front and rear, and have good travel. The combo of the new struts/springs front and rear is 2.5 inch's of lift with no spacers.

Only issue is the rear springs a still a little stiff. The rear hopefully will settle a bit as it's about half inch higher than the front. Also if I lift a rear up, the front will pick a tire about an inch from the bump stop, so they are still a tiny bit too stiff.

I am using the 4runner springs on pro comp 4runner struts. I had to drill out the stock upper spring mount to fit the new strut, and flip it upside down for the new spring. All of the spring Mount needed was a little notch to fit the upper strut mount. This is actually a good improvement because It gives you about two extra inches of spring length.

• Like 1