Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 L GT Brakes

WRX

So I'm replacing brakes on my 2008 Legacy GT. What brand would you recommend? I want something with slightly high performance, but without going ceramic. Would you guys suggest Slotted/drilled rotors?

So far I've found EBC's slotted rotors, and found they have great reviews, but they are too expensive.

I also thought about Hawk Pads. Do these seem good for street use?

Edited by WRX

I have stock rotors and StopTech Street Performance pads on my WRX. I've tracked them too. They bite even when cold, can be modulated, aren't noisy, and the price is right. dust slightly more than stock. Seem to be lasting too. I will definitely buy them again. Great performance street pad that can go to the track a few times a year.

there's a huge thread about them at NASIOC if you wanna read technical details and other's experiences. (I think they are aramid compound? dunno - anyway not ceramic)

on our OBW I have Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic. they are as good or better than stock and affordable.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I think I am going with OEM EBC rotors with Greenstuff pads. Does this sound Ok? Or should I go with the stoptechs or hawks?

there are many combinations that will work for folks. Try to find some reviews on pads. And prices. The StopTechs (from either KNSbrakes or RockAuto) are a lot of bang for the buck.

I doubt anyone on t the street really NEEDS slotted , certainly not drilled rotors anymore.

Other 'upgrade' ideas would be a master cylinder brace, and maybe fresh brake hoses - but on an 08 they probably don't balloon much yet.

w'ever you go with, do a proper bedding-in at first, then a quick/abbreviated bed-in before a track day or if you develop any pulsation in the pedal.

stoptech has some good 'technical white paper' info at their site;

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers

very generally, new pads should be 'bedded in' (applies to rotors too but, usually folks get new pads if they change rotors) which involves increasingly hard stops followed by a cool-down run. Sometimes a repeat cycle. The idea is to burn-off/cure binders used in manufacturing and, more important, to evenly transfer pad material onto the rotor. Different manufacturers and different compounds may have different procedures. And many people are fine with the old 30-30-30 routine that brake techs sometimes do after an installation. That's 30 'hard' stops, from 30 mph, with 30 seconds in between. But, usually, high performance pads will require a more intense procedure to generate the proper temps for pad transfer.

you can search on 'brake bedding in' or similar. I think one of the 'papers' at the stoptech link I posted is about bedding-in.

yeah, here; http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 1 month later...