Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Redrilling 6 lug wheels

branbikenut1

Miner off a 80's Toyota pickup, if you take a measuring tape and measure the two farthes holes it should be 5.5" and it'll work.

I havnt tryed to see yet, still building it. But as long as you have it evenly sinched down it shouldn't have any problems. Tighten one then the other and go back and forth till it looks like its perfectly centered in each lug hole. Having it perfectly centerd is the key to no fibration. But it's a Subaru too almost evey one I've had all has some kinda vibration ;) haha.

but the 6 lug hub drill is better, (if you have the time) it's a matter of opinion :)

-Prwa

I ended up finding a set of 15x7 chevy ralley wheels that are nearly perfect. the guy even mentioned throwing in an extra set of 15x8s just to clean his shop up a bit. As with drilling the hubs out, I'd rather leave that to someone more experinced cuz im not the best at extremely precise fabbing like that. my luck I'd screw it up :-/

I hope yours don't vibrate. I recommend drilling the hubs instead of the wheels.

The first set of wheels i drilled out did vibrate but after looking carefully i realized i screwed it up and somehow managed to get it so the hub wasn't centered. They were just an old set of wagons i wouldnt even recommend for a mudder so it didnt hurt my feelings any. Also gave me a little insite as for what to look out for next time.

When you drill them, use a bit just large enough to fit over a stud.

Don't bevel the redrilled holes.

Use the flat side of the lugnut against the rim for the 2 redrilled holes.

Mount the wheels by tightening the 2, factory, beveled holes......then tighten the flat shoulder nuts against the 2 redrilled holes.

This will center the wheels propely.

Which is why its easier to drill the hubs. Cleaner look, and no worries on beveling. Plus it looks cool, how many Subarus do you see with 6-lug?

More work.

Even harder and more critical to get perfect spaced holes. You have 4 new studs per wheel, and the wheel will try to center to each studs. 4 maybes pulling against 2 certains.

Rims can be drilled 3 times. If you screw up a hub, gotta get a new one.

Redrill the rims and use flat side of the nut to clamp against rim. centered every time.

Two of the 4x140 stud will line up perfect with a 6x139 wheel. use those two studs, knock out of the other two. Bolt wheel to hub, center punch each new hole and start drilling, remove wheel and finish the holes. Use the wheel as your guide, not that hard.

This is the route I'm going on my '83.

1. Tire shops are iffy about touching redrilled wheels.

2. Redrilled wheels look sloppy (Unless you fill the unused holes)

3. Very hard to redrill Alloy wheels.

Two of the 4x140 stud will line up perfect with a 6x139 wheel. use those two studs, knock out of the other two. Bolt wheel to hub, center punch each new hole and start drilling, remove wheel and finish the holes. Use the wheel as your guide, not that hard.

This is the route I'm going on my '83.

1. Tire shops are iffy about touching redrilled wheels.

2. Redrilled wheels look sloppy (Unless you fill the unused holes)

3. Very hard to redrill Alloy wheels.

Ehhh on number #3 it only took me 30 seconds to drill each hole. It'll only be hard if you use the wrong bits. As long as you have a good center punch, and a good drill bit NOT ( a drill press bit) it'll go fast. Total time on mine with never doing it befor prolly took me 15-20min to drill all 4 of my alloy wheels.

Ehhh on number #3 it only took me 30 seconds to drill each hole. It'll only be hard if you use the wrong bits. As long as you have a good center punch, and a good drill bit NOT ( a drill press bit) it'll go fast. Total time on mine with never doing it befor prolly took me 15-20min to drill all 4 of my alloy wheels.

Depending on style of alloy wheel, you can not redrill them, which is what I meant. The Toyota Alloys for instance, you don't have any material to drill, since most alloys have recessed lugs.

30m8srb-1.jpg

Which is why its easier to drill the hubs. Cleaner look, and no worries on beveling. Plus it looks cool, how many Subarus do you see with 6-lug?
I totally agree from a long term perspective. Drilling the hubs is more work up front with greater attention to detail, but then you can nut-on rims without having to redrill them and use the rims the way they were designed. Also, a lot of rims can't be re-drilled safely, so you get way more wheel options with the 6-lug hub.

However, the OP asked about drilling wheels, so if anybody is going to do this, I recommend Gloyale's method on appropriate steel wheels. People keep mentioning using a center punch, but you really want a transfer punch of the correct size.

When you drill them, use a bit just large enough to fit over a stud.

Don't bevel the redrilled holes.

Use the flat side of the lugnut against the rim for the 2 redrilled holes.

Mount the wheels by tightening the 2, factory, beveled holes......then tighten the flat shoulder nuts against the 2 redrilled holes.

This will center the wheels propely.

Total time on mine with never doing it befor prolly took me 15-20min to drill all 4 of my alloy wheels.

You really shouldn't re-drill alloys.

*steel alloy? Ive read that aluminum isn't the good to drill. and can see why it isn't, not as strong at steel. Maybe I miss worded that. Sorry. Mine are steelies. As you can see below.

This is what Gloyale was talking about, works good. These are my awesome wheels!:headbang:

399141_4045119565379_245859477_n.jpg?dl=1

Because if the holes arnt Drilled perfect, you'll be centering the rim to a hole that isn't centerd, and it'll pull the rim away from the true centerd holes. Make Sence? :headbang:

Prwa AAE

That makes perfect sense. i did end up beveling mine but that was before i read this. I went over each one a few times just to be completely positive everything matched up and was even. I put the wheels on, went for a ride around the mile, never had a shake or a shimmy, even at 65 mph. Good enough for me :-p

I do agree on redrilling the hubs tho. the ONLY reason I didnt do it to mine was due to the fact I dont have the necessary tools at hand and i was rather impatient. Id rather have someone more experienced drill my hubs out as well. At least someone who has done it a time or 2 before.