Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 1,000 miles round trip

I just had to post proof that I made it all the way from Portland Oregon to Yreka California in my trusty little subaru,

getting over the mountain from Asland to the California border was a challenge

with a loaded car, we did 35 MPH in third gear climbing up the mountain, but it never missed a heart beat, and the car never even thought about getting hot, the temp stayed in the normal range (below the half mark on the gauge) all the way up the hill.

we drove to Yreka just to say we've had the car to california.

post-39623-136027659431_thumb.jpg

And that, my good man, is why we own Subaru's :cool:

it was a 5 day trip for us with a few side trips, (that's how we were able to clock 1,000 miles) we even went to a shakespearean play in Ashland Saturday night and watched King Henry the 5th.

that was the first time I'd ever been to a play like that, it was ..er, well, different.

we also drove around and did a little sight seeing, I was amazed at how well the car did. it didn't drink a drop of oil, (but it does around town), and everything worked fine, I believe that car has more then proven itself on the road trips it has taken and bought us home again.

it was a 5 day trip for us with a few side trips, (that's how we were able to clock 1,000 miles) we even went to a shakespearean play in Ashland Saturday night and watched King Henry the 5th.

that was the first time I'd ever been to a play like that, it was ..er, well, different.

+1 to hear posts like yours.

A long drive in a Subaru mingled with cultured learning, the finer things in life. Nothing wrong with 3rd as you clearly know when pulling hills.

Just did a quick 400 mile loop myself.. love the roos and had people run across the parking lot just to say they love my Brat etc..

I always wanted to make it to Ashland for the plays, Jealous.

Just wait till you do this with the Legacy! I'm coming to get it in a day or two. Clutch kit is on the way and transmission is lined up. ;)

GD

I want to try it in the Legacy and compare the two, although the wagon was fun, I did get a thumbs up from someone else driving a wagon down in Ashland.

when pulling the mountains, I'll admit, it was the slowest car on the road, even got passed by a semi at one point as we headed up the hill.

Ham radio license plate? Nice.

yup, I think out of the whole trip, that plate got the most attention, mostly old guys walking up to me in rest areas to shake my hand, telling me their call asking me where I was headed and wishing me a safe trip, listened simplex on 146.520 for a while but there wasn't anyone on it other then around Roseberg

I want to try it in the Legacy and compare the two, although the wagon was fun, I did get a thumbs up from someone else driving a wagon down in Ashland.

when pulling the mountains, I'll admit, it was the slowest car on the road, even got passed by a semi at one point as we headed up the hill.

yup, I think out of the whole trip, that plate got the most attention, mostly old guys walking up to me in rest areas to shake my hand, telling me their call asking me where I was headed and wishing me a safe trip, listened simplex on 146.520 for a while but there wasn't anyone on it other then around Roseberg

There's never anybody on the simplex calling frequency. But then I live in the boonies, but even when I'm in populated areas I'll call out, and never get an answer.

Those Long trips makes the Older Subarus to perform Better, Somehow...

I Love Long trips, the Longest trip I've made on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" was from my Country to Panama and Back, in year 2004.

... listened simplex on 146.520 for a while but there wasn't anyone on it other then around Roseberg

My dad is onto Radio Amateur since mid 1970's decade, he is the founder of one of the Local Radio Amateur Clubs; he used to carry his Azden 2Mts FM Transceiver on the Subie and a Yaesu unit in his Truck, but we Listened a -600 Frequency (Not Simplex) and we got License too...

My Mother Hates to do a trip with the Radio tranceiver on the Car, because my dad speaks loudly to his friends, more than to us onboard.

With the massive cellphone invasion since the late 1990's and the internet on the smartphones, The Radio Amateur club has become more a Social Club, but they just installed a new Repeater last month...

Well, something to Share ;)

Kind Regards.

September 2009 I made the trip from LA to Seattle, then to Everett, back down the I82 thru Yakima to the 395 down to the I84 W to hwy 97 S thru Bend to see my relatives then continued s on 97 to the I5. Stayed on the I5 all the way to LA. Didn't care to sightsee in the CA state.

3300+ miles in an 87 GL wagon with stock 13" wheels. Stock AM/FM radio.

Just great country, me & the windshield.:D

Getting ready to do it again this month, this time lifted 4" with 215x75x15 tires, thru La Grande & back to Bend. Yeah!

Edited by czny

Glad to see others taking on long trips! I know all too well about climbing the mountains in 3rd and being passed by semis. I'm actually in the midst of my burning man road trip with my best friend and the g/f.

NJ to Nevada. Burning man is already in the past though and today was the beginning of the trek back home. So far I've put 4,100 miles on the car since August 20th with no driving from the 27th to the 3rd. Now I'm in Vegas and heading out to the hoover dam, the grand canyon, and then a stop in Denver, and then back to NJ.

Wish I wasn't having cooling problems though. Going to flush the radiator soon and hope that takes care of it.

4,000 + miles and an average of 27 mpg heavily loaded!

:headbang:

Wish I wasn't having cooling problems though. Going to flush the radiator soon and hope that takes care of it.

:headbang:

Save yourself the strife and spend $48 and get a new one. We've all tried the flush route, with not much success.

I had one fan that was working intermittently, had the air conditioning blowing full blast, I just had the fan replaced but the plug had a short in it, so every now and then I'd get under the hood and wiggle the plug and the second fan would kick in, but even without it, pulling those hills in third gear with the AC blowing, it never got hot.

I'm working up a list of things that needs to be done to the car, once I get the Legacy back home and running, I'll turn over the loyale to GD and have the bugs fixed.

all in all, it's done very well and proven itself dependable.

I'd love to do a 4,000 plus mile road trip, but funds and time seem to play a factor in my travels, plus to many irons in the fire with the new truck and having GD fixing the Legacy.

Edited by Stubies Subie

i went on a trip last year and this year on the east coast from ohio to cape hatteras, NC to nashville TN and then back to ohio.

i recently rebuilt the heads on mine. did a fresh valve cut and i ported the ports on both heads and got a free flowing 2" exhaust... and i noticed, that i was able to tear up the hills effortlessly, albeit in 3rd gear. the previous year without porting the heads or new exhaust, the car wouldnt be able to go any bit faster than 45. moral of the story, port your heads, and get an exhaust.

also, probably would help my story that i have 235/75/15's on the car, which makes it a hell of a lot harder to go up mountains than stock 13s.