Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL Wagon (picture heavy)

ystrdyisgone

Thanks man! Yeah they're going on the subie, they're the same pattern as the yotas. My only concern is backspacing with just a 2" lift. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I just kinda went for it with the oil pan, I put a coating of Ultra Copper on both sides of the gasket and on the inside edge, then smacked her on there.

Edited by ystrdyisgone

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, bills became a priority for the last couple months, finally starting to have some cash to put into the ol suby.

She's been running fine, not great though. With the colder weather I am getting some pretty significant backfiring if I put the pedal down too hard before she's warmed up.

After much discussion about the planned engine swap, I have been convinced not to put the ea81 into it. I'm going to save up and do the ej22 swap. The current engine isn't as bad as I thought it was, and I would end up wanting an ej22 eventually anyway.

Updates to come.

Also, this means I will have a freshly resealed 80k mile ea81 for sale in the near future :brow:

Edited by ystrdyisgone

• 1 month later...

Again, it's been awhile. My big dreams of swapping and lifting this car have been put on hold to address the mechanical soundness of the vehicle first. I'll be getting it a little prettier too, before I put all my time and money into it.

Some updates:

Finally got the weber on it decently tuned. In addition to changing plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor.

The next focus is finding and fixing the culprit of my front end noise, and possibly a bad carrier bearing as well.

I finally got a job working in a subaru shop today:banana: Looking forward to making quicker progress on the vehicle now, as well as learning about these things at a much faster rate. Not to mention in a hands-on way as opposed to reading countless threads trying to teach myself these things.

Grabbed a black grille insert from work today from a 89 DL Wagon we were parting out. Will be installing it tomorrow.

Picked up some more fun stuff today at work:

Heater switch assembly, as well as the resistor assembly which regulates the speed of the fan. My current one only works on 3, and 4 is on its way out.

Spare rear wiper switch- just in case.

Overhead driver and passenger light assembly- my current ones are very touchy, and don't like to stay on.

More to come, I'm sure.

Sorry for the boring updates, this is more of a build journal than an exciting, crazy build thread. Someday maybe it will turn into that..

Picked up some more fun stuff today at work:

Sorry for the boring updates, this is more of a build journal than an exciting, crazy build thread. Someday maybe it will turn into that..

Keep it coming brother! Don't discount the educational, entertainment, and motivational value of your work to others no matter how "boring" it seems. (This coming from a new member who hasn't even procured a Subie of his own yet) Even comments like "yes I'm building the engine in my trunk" becomes motivation/ammunition for others so when the wife says "we don't have the space" I can retort "look what this guy in Montana is doing!":popcorn:

Thanks launchpad, I hadn't considered it that way. Was looking at it as more of a "who can build the coolest car" sorta thing. Typical male response I suppose, always making things a competition..

DT, yeah ej22 would. But that's a few months and $$ down the road. Going to just get her running nicely the way she is now before I go breaking things while beating on her with all those horses!

Made a lot of progress on Betsy(newly named as of tonight in the shop)

Updates for today:

Figured out what was wrong with the Weber! Choke was working perfectly, the problem was the "accelerator pump" The mechanism that runs from the throttle assembly wasn't making contact with the accelerator pump lever due to it being bent out(possibly during PO's initial installation?) So gas was not being squirted into the chamber when given throttle. A simple bending of the lever back into place, and she runs like a true webered engine should. Having somewhat of a throttle response is wonderful! As well as it no longer dragging at low rpms in 1st or reverse..:clap:

Addressed noise in front end(harmonic pulsating sort of humm at 30MPH+ speeds. Ruled out both front bearings. Ruled out rear bearings as well. I'm thinking maybe carrier bearing or something in the tranny or diff? That's really all that's left.

Installed a radiator fan and shroud. Mine had the single electric, but didn't come with the one attached to the pulley on the engine. Not too much gain for winter, but I'm sure it will help on those treks into the mountains in the summer.

Replaced the front grille insert with the all black one I got at work, looks pretty cool I suppose. Realized it's cracked, may just spray paint original one black..

Fixed the heater speed problem(No blowing in 1 or 2). Will go into more detail in another thread for those who aren't aware of how to fix this problem.

Finally put a spare tire back on the rack, bought the car without one.

That's all for today. More updates to follow.

Betsy went on her first big adventure today! The dog and I hopped in and headed 200 miles west to Missoula, MT where we met a fellow board member. Sold him my EA81, had some pizza, good times..

Heading over the continental divide. Scout says, "Let's go man, I'm drivin!"

90fJEl.jpg

On the way home, trying to get to the pass before dark. (didn't quite make it) oh well, PIAAs and 4WD FTW.

ncxRAl.jpg

The roads were decent, for my car anyway:-p there were tons of people spun out in the ditch on the way. Woulda pulled them out but I had business to attend to, also no tow ropes.

Stats for the trip:

On the way there- with engine in back, 4wd on half of trip, avg speed 60. Took her real easy and stuck to about 35mph on the passes. 25MPG

On the way back- empty cargo area(obviously), 4wd about a 1/4 of the way, avg speed 66, gave her some juice on the passes (50mph) 25MPG..:-\

Conclusions: Go easy on the passes, unless you want to burn your clutch out early. Mine is now slipping, it was gettin there before the trip though. And in the interest of saving $$ keep her at 55!

Overall it was great trip. It felt good to get on the road, and out of my valley. The more I drive this car the more I love it. It's hard to believe it's 25 years old!

Edited by ystrdyisgone
  • Like 2

Not really an update on the car, but this IS subaru related...

I checked out some factory service manuals at work today, I see why people say they are the way to go. SOOO much more clear than Haynes or Chilton. The diagrams are much more straightforward. Each procedure is explained in detail, yet simply. All part numbers included, etc... No comparison really.

I took off all of the stickers that were on my car today. They were a bunch of ski stickers from the PO. It looks much nicer now. Deep cleaned the carpets yesterday so it doesn't smell like a fart/wet dog anymore:D.

At work I started in on the few rust spots it has. A few on the rear passenger doors, but mostly on the hatch. Got down to bare metal, and sprayed a rust converter on there just in case, then put some primer over it. Once I get the rust all taken care of, I will be coating the lower half of the vehicle with herculiner, or something like it.

Sorry for lack of pictures, will get some once the herculiner project starts.

Did some interior work on the ol sube today. The tops of my door panels began to crack during the PO's ownership, this is the method chosen to "fix" said cracks:

HTVUrIrl.jpg

The rear ones are even worse, there's smurf poop all the way across the top of them.

Not really a solution to the problem if you ask me, so I went for some two-tone action.

BEFORE:

KxPkT2wl.jpg

mmmm..

DjMRCGRl.jpg

AFTER:

eKdKvJdl.jpg

(bonus points for whoever guesses what album that is)

Some may not like the combo, I've always been a fan of black and blue though, I'm diggin it. I think it might look better with black carpet on the bottom piece, hmmm. Can't wait to find some rear replacements!

While I was in there, I greased the window regulator assembly. I applied it by finger to the length of both vertical rails, as well as where the wheel rolls on the horizontal rail. I also sprayed some lithium grease on the pivot point and at the "crank shaft." Pretty amazing difference. :D

FINALLY figured out my rear defrost issue! Not that difficult but I had only done troubleshooting and continuity checks up until this point. Popped open the hatch panel tonight and found the culprit.. The wire running from the DS tab back to the wire loom had corroded and broken off right at the first connector in line. Spliced her back together, crossing fingers that was the only issue. We'll find out on the way to the mountain tomorrow..

Here's a pic of the grille I mentioned a few posts back. I like it less than the original (blue edges with black middle) just haven't gotten around to switching them back.

OMbGltHl.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Thanks guys!

l75eya, there is a small c-clip that holds the handle onto the door crank shaft. If you gently pry apart the handle from the trim circle behind it, you should see it. It is easiest to get it out with a 90* angle pick of some sort. Be sure to cup your hand around the area when pulling the clip out, they tend to shoot off into the abyss.. Once the clip is out, the handle pulls right off.

As far as putting them back on, I have found that putting the clip halfway on, just so it stays, then sliding the handle halfway onto the shaft, pushing the clip all the way on with pick, then pushing the handle the rest of the way until the clip finds its groove, is the easiest way to do it.

I got a black cargo cover from work today. It was free because the springs are "broken?" I'm planning on taking it apart at some point and seeing if anything is replaceable/fixable. Any tips from those who know things about this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I also got two front GL-10 struts/spring assy's that will be going on when I install my lift. Don't know the difference between these, seems to be one extra coil..

How I decided to park at the other work tonight:cool: ha:

nJ5eRWel.jpg

Baby bro impreza looked jealous

5tyPSYEl.jpg

Later tonight, I managed to get her stuck after a nice hot springs session. There were quite a few plowed snowbanks around the parking lot that were calling my name, so we hit them hard. Finally high centered it in the front right corner. Back right wheel was about an inch off the ground, back left was tucked like no other. :headbang: Sorry no pics, wasn't that cool looking really.. Can't wait for my lift and bigger tires!:grin:

Got in my first fender bender ever yesterday. Black ice and summer tires were the causes. I was heading up a curvy mountain road and she just decided to lose traction at all 4 wheels, going about 15-20 mph. I was heading nose first into the guard rail, but thanks to some fancy foot and hand work managed to hit just the front right corner. She took it like a champ, I'll add pics later.

On a much better note, I swapped my driveline and rear diff today! :clap: Pics and details to follow later tonight.

Alright here's a side and front pic of the damage, not too bad considering what a non-subaru would have looked like after the same crash..

5wbraf8l.jpg

MXUuwhul.jpg

Did a little hammering, a little prying and grabbed a corner light off a parts car. Primed it, slapped it back together. Good enough for now, til I address the chipped paint up front as a whole. I was much more focused on the bigger job today anyway.

vfQ8qITl.jpg

Onto the fun stuff :grin:

This was the state of my current diff, it's been leaking since I bought the car. As well as emitting a pulsing/humming sound at speed. Sorry for the blurry first pic.

HXeSSe9l.jpg

Once it was off the car and on the bench I checked the fluid. Yummmm... looked like motor oil, TONS of metal shavings in the fluid, as you can see, covered the plug as well..

p9EJYXql.jpg

Then I went into the parts area to get my new(used) driveshaft that I had scoped out earlier this week. Couldn't find it. Looked through 20 some shafts and came up with nothing. No way the current one would work, squeaking something fierce, at least two of the u-joints were failing(ed) carrier bearing was no longer doing its job well. Local junk yard was closed, no options whatsoever. Then I decided that with that many driveshafts, one of them HAD to work. Sure enough I dug up an XT6 shaft, and it just so happened to be the exact same size:clap: huge sigh of relief, and the work continued.

Threw the diff from a 91 loyale on, the thing looked brand new compared to my old one. The gear oil in it must have just been swapped before the engine blew in the parts car, because it was as fresh as can be. Put it all together:

TnWY2Zwl.jpg

Rolls very nicely now, no vibrating in the shift knob at speed anymore, no hums from the back at highway speed. Smooth sailin:cool: I think she's ready for a little lift and some new wheels!

Lastly, anyone know what the deal is with this star on the diff? I will be doing some research, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the one I took off the car (may have been covered in sludge)

88Z6rrpl.jpg

Edited by ystrdyisgone

• 2 weeks later...

I got my radius rod bushings in the mail yesterday. Threw them on today. The existing ones didn't look TOO bad.. but I'm sure it will help to have some fresh rubber in there as opposed to 26 year old stuff.

kZ2BLTl.jpg

I also installed the GL-10 struts I mentioned a few posts back. Seems like a nicer ride.. Maybe just placebo effect? There is one more revolution in the coil though, so that's gotta count for something.

hyqpAiM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The wagon has been very happy lately. Next on the list of to-dos is timing belt replacement, front seals, and side seals. Once that is done, it will finally be worth it to me to get some bigger wheels and a lift.

I took her on a little trip for some hiking near Yellowstone. She loves those curvy mountain roads :) 

Here's a pic at the park entrance with her new wind fairing, got it for 25 bucks:

6lDT20Jl.jpg

Back wheel looked pretty cool, had to take a pic:

PmHssw1l.jpg

I finally got a rack for it today too. It was expensive, but at half off the retail price I couldn't pass it up:

oRi8f42l.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work was fun tonight. Popped the hood of the outback in the bay and was greeted by this:

dWHuFSal.jpg

About an hour and a half later:

ElhK7cdl.jpg

The dog and I headed down to the river after work. Here's the wagon waiting for us when we got back.

ynXWPWSl.jpg

I love these cars. There is absolutely nothing special about their appearance, a box from the 80s. But it's MY box from the 80s, and I can rely on her to get me just about anywhere. :)

Grabbed some tires off Craigslist today for 80 bucks. Had to get those for the new rims that I picked up, some old yota steelie 15x6's. I may get some different ones tomorrow though. These ones are a bit too plain.

Awww shucks... the tires I got are too big and won't fit on the car!

Good thing I'm ordering my lift tomorrow, as well as taking some hubs and rotors down to the ol machine shop. :headbang:

Updates soon to follow.

Edited by ystrdyisgone
  • Like 1