Ultimate Subaru Message Board
rcrad4

ea82 oil pump gasket fitting problems

I am replacing the oil pump gaskets on my '88 ea82. I got the beck arnley brand seal kit. the o-ring fits great, as does the seal inside the pulley system. however the main gasket which seals off the edge does not fit well. it is too large. seems like a quality control error and there is just too much material to fit down into the place for the gasket to rest. has anyone experienced similar problems either with the specific gasket or just in general with beck arnley? any solutions to the problem other than just returning it and trying another one? What about just using rtv silicone to seal it?

Thanks guys!

first of all dont use rtv on an oil pump. secondly, i always buy my oil pump gaskets at the dealer. its not that expensive and ive never heard of a problem with them. hth, RV

install the seals dry. if you used brake cleaner on the engine while installing you ruined the seal and it has swelled. use only carb cleaner around seals.

out of the package, the seal does fit; yuo sort of have to tuck it in there.

i use a dab of ultra grey on the corner and between the ears to hold it in place while installing the pump.

You mean the "mickey mouse" seal?

I had some problems too even though it was original subaru part...

I put oil on the gasket to hold it in place and carefully put the pump back on. After 3th or 4th time i succeeded.

Mine too was littlebit too big

I recieved a Beck/Arnley oil pump seal kit Monday, Made in Japan. Orange O ring...it all fits good. Pump is a NOS B/A that I robbed the seals from for another motor. B/A oil filter, Made in Korea.

ArnleyOilPump.jpg

Doug

yeah when i got the new one it fit just right. a little snug but it worked and fit in there so it must have just swelled enough to not fit solid.