Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How difficult to replace brake pads on 06 Forester?

Have an 06 Forester that is going to need new pads soon. No issues with the current ones, no sounds etc, they're just getting thin and I'd like to do them sooner than later. Will replace all four while I'm at it.

I've done brakes on other vehicles numerous times, but never on this one. How much different, if at all is it to do pads on a Subaru? I've heard that you have to turn the piston on the caliper as you compress it, is that still the case, does it apply to front and rears?

Any special tools or procedures?

Thanks, Matt.

You may find that the rear pads aren't as worn as the front since the front does most of the braking. I check the rears but usually get two front changes to one rear.

I use Duralast Gold from Autozone. A bit dusty but they have a lifetime warranty. Bought the set once and waddayaknow, the same pads fit my 05 and 08 OBs. Replace, return, repeat.

You may find that the rear pads aren't as worn as the front since the front does most of the braking. I check the rears but usually get two front changes to one rear.

I use Duralast Gold from Autozone. A bit dusty but they have a lifetime warranty. Bought the set once and waddayaknow, the same pads fit my 05 and 08 OBs. Replace, return, repeat.

are they picky about how much material is left to do an exchange?

I always wondered about that.

At 60 K km I found my front pads half way and my rear pads wearing on an angle (sticking pads).

I replaced all four and didn't touch the rotors.

At 100 K km my rotors are still pretty nice. Then again they don't owe me anything any more.

Not sure but I think subaru now uses a different pad compound for replacement as it's less spongy.

O yea and standard procedure is to drain and replace brake fluid every 2-3 years. INMHO

At 60 K km I found my front pads half way and my rear pads wearing on an angle (sticking pads).

I replaced all four and didn't touch the rotors.

At 100 K km my rotors are still pretty nice. Then again they don't owe me anything any more.

Not sure but I think subaru now uses a different pad compound for replacement as it's less spongy.

O yea and standard procedure is to drain and replace brake fluid every 2-3 years. INMHO

The wear pattern you describe is probably a good indication to use anti-sieze on the moving parts as suggested by others.

At 126K miles, my pads have worn a bit of a channel in the rotors but it doesn't seem to have affected performance. I would think that to have the rotors turned would unnecessarily thin out the bulk of the rotor and increase the chance of warpage.

Edited by brus brother