Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L vehicles, how diffrent are they besides engine

I had a 96 2.5l gt legacy that first had blown headgasket now has been in a car accident and insurance wants to total it out. I love subarus but would prefer not to have to deal with this whole headgasket thing again. I was hoping someone could tell me the difference in the vehicles with 2.2l engines ( besides the engine of course). especially the wagons I love the wagons! Thanks for any input.

The 2.2l's have slightly less power, but that's it.

You can't get the Outback wagon with the raised ride height and big tires with the 2.2l unless it's a 96 with the 5spd manual.

Pretty much everything is interchangeable on subarus. You may not be able to buy the trim level with the motor you want, but you can either swap motors or swap interiors or suspension ect. It's the same body shell so anything you want bolts on.

It doesn't take much to total a 96 subaru, so it may be cheaper for you to buy it back from the insurance company and fix it using junkyard parts than to buy another car. How hard was it hit and where? If you've done the headgaskets in the DOHC 2.5l they should be good for life, so it's not going to be a continuing issue. You also know the maintenence performed on the car vs a replacement one. The buyback is probably only a few hundred bucks out of the claim settlement. After you fix it you take it for a salvage inspection and get it re-titled.

Of course there is the Impreza, which has a completely different feel to it. Think small rally car. Steering and suspension is more crisp and sporty as opposed to the more luxury tuned legacy. That and of course the cargo area is much smaller in an Impreza wagon vs a Legacy wagon. The Impreza is more like a 5 door hatchback than a wagon IMO

Of course there is the Impreza, which has a completely different feel to it. Think small rally car. Steering and suspension is more crisp and sporty as opposed to the more luxury tuned legacy. That and of course the cargo area is much smaller in an Impreza wagon vs a Legacy wagon. The Impreza is more like a 5 door hatchback than a wagon IMO

That said, I've had 2 complete EJ engines in the back of my Impreza... without folding down the back seats.

you can't get the higher trim models with the EJ22 - like leather and such.

but there are some nice LS models out there with EJ22's that aren't too bad. they get lesser trim, (no leather) stereo's, and at least it seems like worse suspension to me (but that's a guess). but all of that is easy to swap out actually if you want any of it. swap in legacy GT suspension, leather interior and a decent stereo is plug and play from any other subaru and you've got the same car minus some exterior trims and the EJ22.

i have a really nice 1999 LS special edition with 80,000 miles..i think that will be for sale shortly....but CA is quite a drive! but - it's a really nice wagon with an EJ22.

Accually I was hit in the rear drivers side door and the rear drivers side quarter panel. When my boyfriend called salvage yards for parts they quoted like $700 for the two pieces (door and panel). I like the impreza but I dont like the modern round headlights I like the older style better. Thanks for all the comments.

doors are $75 - $200. the rear quarter panel will be the hard part. those are welded into place. pretty much need a picture but it's actually not too hard to "push it" out from the inside. use a stock car jack turned side ways inside the interior and use 2x4 lumber and various blocks to set it up and turn it - and you can push a majority of the dent out. if you have major damage to the metal then cut it out and spot weld a piece of metal in - can also be done in an hour and then probably another hour of proper cleaning, prep, paint. actually not that hard but if you can't weld at all then you're hosed. i'm doing one now and can/will probably post pic's of the process later. it's very easy to get a perfectly functional non-distracting end result but a waste of time to shoot for factory show room finish.

the imprezas are great but small - i had one and i loved the vehicle, but was just too small. i carry lots of stuff and now with kids and such we outgrew it quickly. i would only recommend one of those if space isn't a concern at all and your are decreasing in size and function rather than increasing (age, family, life, travel, hobbies, etc).

I have four 90-91 legacys with the 2.2 they are good size wagon but still has the stiff sports car like suspension, unlike the later legacy witch have sloppier suspension. That is just my opinion

heres the diff as far as trans are concerind 2.2 has a 2800 stall torque coverter and 2.5 has a 2100 stall converter ratios are diferant 2.5 is 4.44 2.2 is 4.11 brakes are smaller on 2.2 cars sway bars and struts are smaller wheels and have less options on 2.2 cars the engines interchage not to badly exept for egrs on some have put many a 2.2 in 2.5 hole

not true about the 2.5 being a 4.44. The only 4.44 2.5L was in the forester. The US Outback came with a 4.11 4EAT in it. 2.2L was a 3.9 4EAT. Any 90-99 4EAT should interchange, just make sure you know the final drive ratio. I always keep the rear diff with the tranny when I do my swaps unless I know 100% what already in the rear. And you use the torque converter that came with the donor trans.

sorry torx but i think you are mistaken.

you can look up the ring and pinion part numbers at http://opposedforces.com/parts for both the ej22 cars and the ej25 cars in the late 90s and it will list the ratio. the rear diff parts are found the drive ''TRAIN'' section.

ALL the ej25s 96 - 99, forester, outback, GT, LSi, with the auto trans have the 4.44 ratio. (i don't know about the imprezas. i don't even know what high end models they produced.)

all of these ej25 cars have a trans code number that starts with TZ102Z2xxx and they all have the 4.44 ratio. (they also have larger tires than the legos) all the ej22 tans code numbers start with TZ102Zxxxx where the red 'x' is a letter, not the number 2, and they all have the 4.11 ratio.

this trend is continued in the 00s . outbacks and GTs have the 4.44 and legos have the 4.11 but of course they retired the ej22 after 00 and it was no longer a factor. but the different size tires continued to be associated with the diff ratio thru 04, i think. i don't know about 05+ cars.

cars with manual trans follow the same trend but they use the 4.11 in the ej25s and 3.9 in the ej22s. (except maybe the 96 outback ej22 manual trans. i don't know about it. but i suspect it is the 4.11 like the other outbacks.)

the simple fact of the matter is that the larger tires off set the ratio difference making them almost equal on the road. the difference is about 0.6%. this is one of the reasons the fuel economy is so close between the two and why the ej22 does so well in the 4.44 outback. the ratio difference is negated / offset by the tire size.

Edited by johnceggleston

funny all the 2.5s i see are all 4.44 have not seen a 4.11 in any 2.5 mabee they only came to canada in the 4.44 ratios even the 3.0 six had a 4.44 ratio and all outbacks and legacy gts and foresters here all 4.44 i cant keep the 4.44 diffs in stock have had a 4.11 one here for years cause only came in the 89-91 legacys and the late model 2.2s 96-02 gess us canadians need some lower gears lol

the info i posted above is correct and it took me a long time studying and researching to finalize it. but it is really hard to come up with a ''blanket'' absolute rule for the final drive ratos.

in the 90 - 94 years the auto trans ratios change at a mid point for no apparent reason. the 94 auto trans (ej22) ratio is NOT the same as the 95, 4.11, it is a 3.9. and there fore is not a candidate for a swap into the 95.

and the 90 ej22 auto trans it is a 4.11 ratio, the same as the 95. go figure. the change was made around 92 or 93 but i'm not sure. (but josh's site (legacy777), www.legacycentral.org, has the details.)

also in these years, the turbo did not follow what the non-turbos did. iirc they were all 3.9 but i'm not sure, i would have to check.

i'm not as sure about the 90 - 94 years as i am about the late 90s because every time i think i have figured out i screw it up. so i try and always check josh's site before i make a statement.

hth

Edited by johnceggleston

found it.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32148&p=219156&hilit=rear+diff*+ratio*#p219156

Legacy777 Post subject: First Gen Legacy Final Drive Ratio Thread

icon_post_target.gifPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:29 pm

Site Admin Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:37 am

I know I posted this before, but I can't for the life of me find the post, and I've seen two separate threads today debating this info, and it being incorrect.

1990-1994 FWD non-turbo AT & MT Legacy

3.70 Final Drive Ratio

1990-1991 AWD non-turbo AT & MT Legacy

4.111 Final Drive Ratio

1992-1994 AWD non-turbo AT Legacy

3.90 Final Drive Ratio

1992-1994 AWD non-turbo MT Legacy

4.111 Final Drive Ratio

1991-1994 AWD turbo AT & MT Legacy

3.90 Final Drive Ratio

NOTE: The 1991 MY Turbo Legacy was the ONLY year that got the rear VLSD differential. All other years for the turbo legacy received the open rear differential

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru

1990 Legacy (AWD, 5MT, & EJ22T Swap)

1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm