Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More electrical issues

• 4 weeks later...
Verify you have power getting to the minus side of the coil. You should see steady power there while the engine is cranking but have no ignition. You will see pulses there when things are working correctly.

yepper, power to both sides.

• Like 1

There's a C shaped piece in the disty, held by 2 scews.

Under that is a magnet. Check to see if it's cracked/broken.

Had that happen to my '85.

Magnet was not only broke, it was shattered into many pieces.

No idea as to why.

But it wouldn't start, got to checking things over, found problem with magnet.

Subaru part number for magnet,

491988711, '84+

491987401 earlier models

I never bought the magnet though. Just modded an EA82 carb disty to fit the EA81 engine.

Replaced the module, and still nothing. Im getting 12v to the coil, and the - side is pulsing. New coil, new module, button, cap, wires, plugs, and disty has no play in shaft...

You should have spark at the plug wires then.

Pull one off the plug, insert a screwdriver, hold the screwdriver shaft near the engine, crank it over. See if you get spark.

If you have spark, then it has to be fuel supply issue.

Anti-Diesel-Solenoid on carb is the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Try dribbling some gas down the carb, or use starting fluid, see if it'll want to start/run.

edit;

Didn't see where you mentioned pulling disty. But make sure it is timed right to the engine.

Edited by TomRhere
More info

You say the minus side of the coil is pulsing while the engine is turning over. You should have spark to the plugs if the coil is good. Remove the high tension wire going to the center of the disty cap and place the end of it near the top of the engine. Then see if you can get spark to jump the gap while cranking the engine. If that works then make sure the rotor is working ok.

Ok... Im an idiot. I put the wires to the pickup coil on backwards :-p fired right up after that. That's what I get for rewiring with the same two colors

Haha, :rolleyes:

Don't you love that moment when you realize exactly what you did wrong too?

Glad you got it figured out!

• 5 months later...

Got power to coil & dash today, the problem was a SINGLE wire under the dash far before it hits the fuse box IN the harness. Still no spark, im going to order an ignition module.

Im curious where the culprit was. Did you have to pull back the casing on the harness? Ive been dealing with the same symptoms on my 86 Brat, And I feel very lost with my lack of electrical knowledge.

Thank you.

Im curious where the culprit was. Did you have to pull back the casing on the harness? Ive been dealing with the same symptoms on my 86 Brat, And I feel very lost with my lack of electrical knowledge.

Thank you.

It was one of the wires running to the fuse (#5?) I believe the previous owner may have put a higher amp fuse causing the wire to burn at one point. I did have to pull back the casing, luckily the burned part was above the kick panel on the drivers side (why it fried there is beyond me) As far as not starting, it was the ignition module. I highly suggest changing yours if the coil tests fine. What exactly is your Brat doing?

Thank you.

If you aren't getting power to the coil when the ignition is turned ON then check the fusible links and the fuses in the dash for power getting to them using a test light probe. Use the slits on top of each side of the fuses to make the checks. If the fuses are getting power to them and the coil isn't then the trouble is between the fuse for that circuit and the coil. It is a logical sequence to find the trouble.