Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22T (91 SS) adding 04' turbo baja intercooler/turbo

Questions for you turbo hounds. I scored all the forced induction stuff off a 04 Baja turbo when I converted it to N/A for a customer. I refuse to build anything turbo so I gave the stuff to a buddy for his 91 SS. Questions are:

What all needs to be modified to make the 2.5L turbo/interocooler work? It looks fairly bolt up to me, but I figured I'd ask anyways. As far as fuel management goes, the computer should compensate for the air to air being added. What if any are the differences between the EJ22T turbo and the EJ25 turbo? setting it in the car, it appears slightly bigger but it might just be my eyes playing with me.

They are both TD04's correct? We also scored a 3.5" bellmouth downpipe off a buddies STi and we were thinking about using that. What effects are we gonna see on ODB 1 not seeing a cat there anymore?

Thanks guys

Computer won't care a bit about the missing cat.

The Baja turbo will be a TD04 or TD05 or possibly a VF of some flavor....and is actually quite a bit larger than the '91 turbo - which is a VF11. They have radically different inlets so you will need a solution to get filtered, metered air into the turbo.

You will have engine management issues for sure. It won't like how much air that turbo will flow and it will likely hit fuel cut due to the air volume passing the MAF. A stand-alone would be best since the OBD-I ECU is pretty dumb and will do really stupid things when you change up the airflow design.

The intercooler will hit the AC hose and the clutch MC reservoir.

GD

thx for the info on bbslegacy. I never knew about that site lol. Normally if I can't figure it out, and no one on USMB can I give up.

I found a writeup on the TD05. I'll look tomorrow and see which turbo I have. The fuel cut defender doesnt look too hard to make, and I saw there is a few performance chips guys are running in the EJ22T modified stuff.

Funny story about that EJ22T. We put a 4.44 4EAT in it, Outback lift blocks/struts and my buddy decided tonite that it SHOULD go anywhere my 98 OB with forester struts will. Hehehehe we'll just say he made it half way across the river crossing trying to follow me. Snapped my strap and chain trying to get him out. managed to get him back about 30 feet before I went and got my buddies mud truck to get him out.

Once we got him on dry land, his passenger front wheel was locked up. Jammed full of gravel between the rim and caliper.

glend.jpg

Edited by torxxx