Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To cover or not to cover? That is the question...

Ok ea82T wizards out there... I got 2 simple questions for y'all. I am rebuilding my ea82T to go in my lifted 84 wagon. I have been debating about these two things the last couple days and its gotten to the point where I need to make a decision.

Are those POS timing belt covers really necessairy? I remember people saying they run without them no problems whatsoever goin thru mud, water, etc.. can we verify this? I plan to be 4wheelin in this car, and I want to know will I run into any major problems if I leave the covers off?

The other question is, does the ea82 xt spider manifold really make a noticable difference over the standard dual port manifold? Remember this is going on a turbo..

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

-Mike

Well, to use the covers have advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages; Keeps objects from getting lodged in the belts. Keeps some of the mud out of the tensioner bearings.

Disadvantages; Keeps the mud and gunk that does manage to get in there in there.

I guess Subiemech said it best, it's a matter of preference.

Intake seems to be better at speed or higher RPM's. Neither of which will benefit you in a lifted 'roo in the woods. It will make driving it on the street nicer though.

Thanks for your input guys. Ya I figure I would leave them off so they wont keep crap IN, and also they would be easily accessable... I figure if I change them every 20K to 25k, no worries...

as far as the intake, so the spider manifold gives more high end and drops out the low end? hmm, that wouldent be cool... I'm trying to give this ea82T the most low end possible, any other recommendations outside of a stock block? (I dont want to run 9.5 to 1 compression, I cant get 93 octane here)

At Fox's suggestion, I am a recent convert to the "naked" treatment.

My guess is that Fugi (like other manufacturers) started installing them to prevent lawsuits. Like to make sure somebody with long hair, or wearing a tie, didn't get strangled accidentally!!

A skid plate isn't a bad idea though.

Overall, the long-term advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, IMO. All the 60k maintenace interval stuff can be done with ease, and this is reason enough to make the "downgrade" worthwhile.

John

95% of my miles are on pavement or gravel roads. I've put about 30,000 miles on two different coverless Subarus, and they are still running fine. For me, it's a maintenance thing. I can see the belts, I can see leaks better, and I can do repairs MUCH more quickly, even if there is a higher chance of a t-belt breaking. I just keep my old set of belts in one of the car's storage compartments.

If I were doing more off-roading, I'd rather swap the ea-82 out for an ea-81 and not have to worry about the belts at all.

Are those POS timing belt covers really necessairy? I remember people saying they run without them no problems whatsoever goin thru mud, water, etc.. can we verify this? I plan to be 4wheelin in this car, and I want to know will I run into any major problems if I leave the covers off?

-Mike

Keep your covers if you are offroading.