Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need timing help

i have a 1994 subaru loyale 1.8L (not XT) was going to do the timing, but cannot find the marks. my manual describes the location as: 'ignition marks are located on the edge of the flywheel, at the rear of the engine. the marks mounted on the flywheel are visible through a port in the flywheel housing located just behind the oil dipstick tube. a plastic cover protects the port through which the flywheel mounted marks are visible.'

i have done timing on many cars, and have never looked for half an hour with no results.

i looked behind the dipstick and there is a black plastic housing that i assume is the 'flywheel housing' i even found a little port with a plastic cover, but if this is it, i cannot see inside without removing the fan and radiator...which would make it so i couldnt run the car while checking the timing.

if anyone can shed any light on this, i would be grateful.

Welcome! The picture above shows it, but it's easiest to remove the spare tire first...

Small, black (more rubber than plastic) nearly dead center on top between engine and trans.

There will be 3 inscribed lines on the MASSIVE flywheel/flexplate. Keep rotating it around until you see them. (NOTE: You will also find the timing marks. Those are a series of large AND small lines with numbers and letters. Ignore those when doing the T-belts. Keep rotating the engine around until you find 3 lines, evenly spaced about 2mm apart and equal length)

When you're aligning the cam gears, however, there is a small groove in the top of each belt cover on the front of the motor, that you will have to align with the dot on the cam gear, once you start putting the new belts on.