Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 swap starts but won't stay running

Prwa101

Okay so the symptoms are, it'll run for about 5-10 seconds then die like its being choked. I can keep it running only if I use the throdel and move it up and down really fast, wont stay running if I rev iT and hold it, it'll just die. Only stay running if it's reved up and down fast. Been building it for a while now so it's been a project for almost a year so it's been sitting. Sounds perfect when it's first fired up.

I have fuel, pressure and power to the fuel pump. 12v running.

Anything would help, I really want to get this going so I can hit the trails with some of you guys! Any ideas?

-Prwa

I think one thing that commonly causes this is the connection under the intake that's for the big hose to the IACV.

Just went and looked around my IACV for hoses unhooked and it looks like nothing is unhooked.... And it looks good no cracking old hoses either.

maybe pull plugs and look for a wet one? perhaps thers some flooding from a bad injector?

I would think that there would make it hard start and not idel perfect when first fired up. Oh and the engine ran perfect when I pulled it, I drove it home. :) poor ej auto trannys.

+1 for fuel pressure issue. I was having a similar problem with my wagon. I ran my carb fuel tank to almost empty and got some air in my line. I didn't know what was wrong I even replaced my fuel pump relay. I manually powered my fuel pump. IE I hooked up an extra 12v battery I had laying around directly to the pump and waited till I heard fuel coming into the tank from the return line.

Haven't had any problems since then.

Maf and PVC are good and hooked up along with the oil cap. I'm going to check the MAF though I may have knocked it and broke the film in side..

I noticed when I tryed agin today, I fired it up, did go agin, so I looked under the hood and heard the ignition relay clicking every couple seconds with the key off along with the fuel pump going on and off.... So I think the ignition relay is bad now or has been. Could this cause this? I'm guessing it could of it turn off the fuel pump or turns off one side of the relay that goes to something else... Hmmmm... While that was clicking I could hear something else clicking? I'm going to go and check voltages on the fuel pump why'll it runs till it dies...

Wow........... Agin I am retarded... Thanks Gloyale, when you mentiond the MAF I fired it up and started looking around it...... She LIVES!!!!!!!!

For other people who may do this simple mistake........ Heres my photo of what I did wrong.......

560503_4088323085440_1565762589_n.jpg?dl=1

It was sucking to much air with out the filter system hooked up so it was choking it..... Over aired... I can't believe I did this... I stuck my hand over it and it reved up perfect.....

H

Thanks guys!!! Should have my sub finished with in the next week!! Then hitting the trails!! :banana:

-Prwa AAE

YES! You guys were right! I unplugged the MAF while it was running and it ran much better and didn't want to die as much. But I think I fried the altonator, while its running at has low output about 5v at the white altonator wires, so it wasn't charging the Battry sooo It won't start after turning it off, does that sound right?

-Prwa