Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was at the junk yard today and there was an 03 LL Bean there. I was curious if they had the VLSD rear ends. I looked under the car but couldn't see any writing on the rear, there was some sort of metal case mostly enclosing it leaving the sides exposed. I thought the metal case was cool and wondered if it would fit one of cars, 92 Leg wagon and 96 Outback. If this car does have the VLSD would it work on one of my cars, both are 2.2 5mt.

I was at the junk yard today and there was an 03 LL Bean there. I was curious if they had the VLSD rear ends. I looked under the car but couldn't see any writing on the rear, there was some sort of metal case mostly enclosing it leaving the sides exposed. I thought the metal case was cool and wondered if it would fit one of cars, 92 Leg wagon and 96 Outback. If this car does have the VLSD would it work on one of my cars, both are 2.2 5mt.

Some folks say the vlsd is worn out aftter 65K miles - dunno.

That bean probably does have one. We have a 03 H6 (not ll bean) with weather package and it is viscous.

Sounds like it also has a diff cover so, that's kinda cool. I think that's an $80 or more accessory - maybe $180 - i don't recall.

Supposedly, there are codes on top of the diff, next to the body, that will tell you if they are viscous/open and what the final drive ratio is.

And that is probably the biggest issue - matching the rear's ratio with your front diff's ratio.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

It's supposed to have one. Bought my '03 beaner with 55k miles and the diff acted as though it was open.

Be aware the H6 Gen 2 outbacks had 4.11 final gearing like a legacy, not the auto outback's usual 4.44

I didn't think to look at the mirror. I got 2 auto dim mirrors with compass and temp from Ford Tauruses. I just bought a 97 Leg Gt sedan, would be nice to ad auto dim mirror.

I want to put a LSD in my 92 Leg wagon it is a 5mt and has the 4.11 rear.

from what i've heard the newer VLSD's wear out and essentially default to an open rear differential. and i think they're all but impossible to test. i'd be hesitant to pay much for one.