Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mangaflow Catalytic Converter

Hello,

I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5i wagon and the CEL comes on intermittently with the catalytic converter code. According to my mechanic, the converter will need to be replaced to the tune of $800-$900. Would a universal fit (like a Magnaflow) without throwing a code? They seem to be a lot cheaper. Also, will this adversely effect low-end torque at all?

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with them, but my boss said they haven't had good luck with aftermarket cats on Subarus, he said the always end up throwing codes. Like I said, I haven't tried them, but he was advising me against using and aftermarket one when I was telling him about my swap.

Hello,

I have a 2005 Legacy 2.5i wagon and the CEL comes on intermittently with the catalytic converter code. According to my mechanic, the converter will need to be replaced to the tune of $800-$900. Would a universal fit (like a Magnaflow) without throwing a code? They seem to be a lot cheaper. Also, will this adversely effect low-end torque at all?

Thanks!

ask him if he is willing to refund at least the labor if the same code comes back twice in 3 months. And save your old cat.

anybody can throw parts at a car. Converters DO go bad, but MANY people have solved p0420 (is that the code?) with much cheaper fixes than a new cat.

For that kinda money, probably worth having a second opinion. maybe someone here can suggest a shop near Westford.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Often discusssed - search for it P0420.

On the older SUbaru's (up through 99 atleast) Seafoam through a vacuum line and/or spark plug non-foulers usually worked.

Someone posted that late 2000's this no longer worked. Don't know about yours in the middle.

I will say that most aftermarket cats seem to last about a year - basically one inspection. They aren't even worth anything as scrap.

• 1 month later...

Probably will never work for anyone else, but when I had that same code it finally went away when I had to replace my ac belt idler pulley. It had been humming for quite some time and apparently dragging the engine down. Brought the gas mileage back up too.

Thanks for all the input. I lost the heat shied last winter and I do notice the exhaust (inside) seems louder than usual, but strangely, can't find any leaks anywhere. Been out of work awhile so fixing this has gone to the back burner, but at some point I'm going to need to fix it.

***your converter does not need to be replaced***

yours being a 2005 you need to look into the RECALL for what i think is those year vehicles. some folks get their ECU reprogrammed and new converters installed FREE. for instance:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/23818-update-ecm-recall-p0420.html

Been out of work awhile so fixing this has gone to the back burner, but at some point I'm going to need to fix it.

if the above doesn't work out for some reason, do the $5 easy fix for this code, one extension installed and you're done.

clean up any leaks and be smart about it of course but don't waste your time, this code is a debacle for most Subarus...though the 2005's or whatever the recalls apply to are a bit different animal due to that recall.

Free....or $5....this thing could be fixed. Pretty simple.

I would never in a million years replace those converters, Subaru converter failure is UNBELIEVABLY rare, folks replacing the converters are plain stupid. If you actually ran them through an emissions test they would pass.

• Like 1