Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback XT Cruise Control

googling around found this little tidbit:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t17299_ds469549

I know there are issues with hills and 2005's cruise control.

See here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cruise-control-surges-jerks-downhill-10725.html?t=10725

I don't have the tsb but google 2005 Subaru cruise control problem and you will find some fun reading. Ignore the threads that include issues of check engine light as their problem is unrelated to yours. Cruise stops working if there is a CEL. Not your problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd only suspect the replaced parts if you have a CEL, ABS or other light on.

You searched/asked over on the SubaruOutback.org site?

I just read thru the LGT thread offered up by Brus and it stated that some people had success w/the ECU reflash.

You could fudge and state your CC is stopping when asking the dealer for a reflash, which seems to be the more common or @ least more readily fixed by the reflash.

If you don't get anywhere asking specifically for this w/the local service mgr, I'd put in a call/email to SoA and 'nicely' push for getting the reflash....it may cost you $85 or if you're regular customer (maintenance or otherwise) they may split the cost w/you.

I'd also be calling other dealers (gotta be more than 1 in St. Louis??).

What trans? If yours is the MT, I'd replace your Neutral sensor, too, as noted.

Also, have you tried to reset your ECU? Read on here/line how to do that....if you have an alarm or security code on your stereo/head unit, you'll want to get info on resetting those b4 'pulling the plug'.

After the reset, see if the cruise is any better initially.

GL,

TD

My moms 2006 Outback does this and it started after I replaced all of her wheel bearings. I found a sensor I had cracked and replaced that and had the reflash done. It got a little better but still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

• 1 month later...

Alright, alright...

Replaced the left front hub yesterday, again. I missed my cruise control.

Lo and behold replacing the O'Reilly's OEM (made in China) with a factory (made in the USA) hub solved the lunging issue.:clap:

I went to O'Reilly's with hub in hand and explained and accepted it as a warranty return.

I inspected the hubs prior to installing, nothing really to note. The Chinese hub does have a heavier casting, its thicker and conically shaped adjacent to the hub. The factory hub, definitely less girth and more symmetrical adjacent to the hub.