Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Homeade lift/ What to do to suspension?

SubaSport

I am starting to do a 4" lift on my 82 GL wagon but I am a little hazy on how to do the suspension. I am just wondering what other people have done. I dont think I have enough money to get a new suspension, Im just wondering how to space the shocks and struts.

Can anyone help?

any pictures?

Thanks

The rears on my 82 are fine even at 12in. of lift. The fronts have been extended by about 10in. If you are going to make the effort of producing your own lift rather than buying a ready made 4 in. kit (the largest sold) you may as well go on up to 6 inches.

Steering is easy, just cut the shaft in half and get some thickwall tubing that slips over the shaft. Slip it over about an inch, weld it in place on one side. Slip the other end in and bolt it in place to get the spacing. Tack it, then pull the shaft and true it up before seam welding it.

The struts are unchanged but you can parallel a better shock with them if you want. The rear shocks will be too short and need to be replaced or lengthened. The kits use a drop down mount. The better solution is to use a Rancho or similar shock that is the right length. They aren't very expensive if you get the basic gas shock ($35~40 ea.). You need a top mount of XP7 and a lower mount of LS26 or simlilar. If you want a set that will fit a 6~8 lift I have a set that has 2500 miles on them for cheap.

Dito on the strut top location. Tuck them in to the fender wall as close as posible to max your camber options.