Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temporary Spares - Vancouver BC

robm

This post might be better in the "parts wanted" section, but I get the idea this part of the forum is more frequented.

I have near new tires on my old Loyale that is not long for this world. I would like to replace them with old temporary spares for the short trip to the recycler.

Does anyone in the Vancouver BC area have one or more temporary spares for a Loyale they want to get rid of for cheap/free?

PM me for contact details.

Thanks,

Rob.

The deal on this one is "push pull or drag" a beater to get it out of the system, so it won't "pollute" any more. They won't pull parts and return them, as they don't want to encourage the use of cars this old. They go straight to the crusher, as I understand it.

(Despite the fact that the same website that promotes this program told me repeatedly that any car that can replace the Loyale will do so at the expense of increased carbon emissions. I am not sure they are critical in global warming, but at >$5/US gal for gas, I prefer the Loyale's fuel consumption. )

They want it running at the gate, and the government will give me $200 for it. Much more than I could get as a beater with a blown headgasket on the open market. I just have to figure out how much I can strip and leave it mobile. The tires I want to save are Kumhos, only 1 year old, maybe 20,000 km on them. They may have another 20 - 40,000 km left. (I get crap mileage from my tires, I don't know why.)

The replacement Loyale has some good Michelins on it. Maybe the same tread wear. They may last longer, although to date, Hankooks, Kumhos and Toyos have all lasted less than 50,000 km a set. It will be interesting to see if Michelins do better. (Pirellis did - 80,000 km.) If I could get a full set (3 more) of temp. spares, I would be laughing.

I may be better off stripping all the useful stuff that will fit in the new one, and giving the car to the scrappie. The tires are worth at least $200.

Edited by robm

The deal on this one is "push pull or drag" a beater to get it out of the system, so it won't "pollute" any more. They won't pull parts and return them, as they don't want to encourage the use of cars this old. They go straight to the crusher, as I understand it.

(Despite the fact that the same website that promotes this program told me repeatedly that any car that can replace the Loyale will do so at the expense of increased carbon emissions. I am not sure they are critical in global warming, but at >$5/US gal for gas, I prefer the Loyale's fuel consumption. )

They want it running at the gate, and the government will give me $200 for it. Much more than I could get as a beater with a blown headgasket on the open market. I just have to figure out how much I can strip and leave it mobile. The tires I want to save are Kumhos, only 1 year old, maybe 20,000 km on them. They may have another 20 - 40,000 km left. (I get crap mileage from my tires, I don't know why.)

The replacement Loyale has some good Michelins on it. Maybe the same tread wear. They may last longer, although to date, Hankooks, Kumhos and Toyos have all lasted less than 50,000 km a set. It will be interesting to see if Michelins do better. (Pirellis did - 80,000 km.) If I could get a full set (3 more) of temp. spares, I would be laughing.

I may be better off stripping all the useful stuff that will fit in the new one, and giving the car to the scrappie. The tires are worth at least $200.

The wheels are worth about $40 to $50 on ebay. Luckily i found someone here selling wheels, and paid $25 shipped for one.. Drive it over to the US and part it out LOL j/k

i met a guy who says tha'ts hwat he does to make money, buys subs wth bad HG cheap, replaces it, then sells em.

that guy is buying EJ25 motor equipped vehicles (they blow headgaskets all the time, making it easy to do), not EA82's.

a loyale is far less valuable than an EJ25 vehicle, all things being equal, so there's not nearly as much value in flipping EA82's.

This one has fairly advanced cancer, too. Not worth the effort. On top of that, I am 800 miles from home and tools.

That Solder Seal stuff I put in is working great. I haven't used it much, just around the block far enough to warm it up, with a steep hill at the end. The exhaust is pretty near dry! No noticeable steam coming out. When I first fired it up, it filled the carport with steam, and used 2 qts of water in 5 miles, even though 1/3 was coasting with the engine off!

I think I might buy a tube of that stuff to keep handy. It seems to be cheap and effective.

Edited by robm

Well, the Athens Queen went to the scrappie yesterday. He picked it up, and took off the wheels once it was on the back of the flat deck. I got $80 for her.

RIP, a great car. I don't imagine the ones that will be made from her will be any where near as tough or practical.