Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 GL 4WD wagon-czny

czny

Decided to go for aftermarket Wildwood 260-8419 proportioning valves - 2 of them to keep the divided brake system( Frt left & Rt rear + Frt right & Lft rear)

Bought some Edelmann fittings: 4 ea inline tube conns, # 274000(10 x 1.0 mm Invert flare): 4 ea 3/16 invert flare x 1/8 NPTM 90* elbows,#122320: 4 ea 3/16 tube nuts, parts tore only had the long 3/8-24 nuts, # 121030, 1 ea 3/16" x 51" L metric line with 10 x 1.0 mm nuts.

Removed orig prop valve & replaced with 2 tube unions, 3/16 tube clamps.post-30768-0-80426000-1496514460_thumb.jpg

Replumbed DS & PS brake tubing from firewall unions & added Wildwood prop valves on top where space saver spare used to reside.

post-30768-0-75008900-1496514826_thumb.jpgpost-30768-0-60394500-1496514974_thumb.jpgpost-30768-0-98961500-1496515088_thumb.jpg

Brake line from top of hill holder was removed & replaced with new line to prop valve. See diagonal line in front of booster.

Yes, some here disagree with using pipe threads in a braking system, but if you use a high pres sealant such as Leak Lock it will be fine. I've used this stuff for years for steam, hi pres hydraulic & other demanding applications & it will be fine. These Wildwood valves are 1/8 NPTF in & out ports. There are metric valves available but these are EU bubble flare only.

Test drove wagon after bleeding with initial valve adj at 4 turns in. Gave both valves one turn more & will see if more is needed. But for now the braking is back where it began after the rear disc conversion.

Edited by czny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice build man!I'm running 235/75/15 on my 86 w/EJ swap no problem.5 inch lift,i like the clearance for Montana back roadin!

Thanks Torry.

Given that Photosuckit has sent me a ransom email, we'll see how much longer my pics display now.

No one likes being extorted!

EDIT: Photosuckers has seen fit to close my account due to Facebookers abusing a public folder. Thanks ginks!

Edited by czny

• 4 months later...

Installed 4x6 LED headlights outboard on my GL before house hunting trip to Montana. 

This trip would've been better with an EJ engine but this the last hurrah for this EA82. Its a dog but a dependable one. 1380 miles in 3 days of rowing the stick on hills.Had to strike while the iron was hot.

Pic is along the 28N in Idaho approaching the 93N then thru the Bitterroot Mtns. on way to Hamilton MT.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bitterroot+Mountains/@45.8001599,-114.4418378,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x535915a184e5f8c5:0xfba63605bbcae42b!8m2!3d45.8076982!4d-113.9389673

Saw a herd of pronghorn antelope along the way. :D

post-30768-0-70910700-1512090970_thumb.jpg

Edited by czny
More travel fun.

Been awhile since I had posted in this thread.

Started another image hosting acct. to repair damage done by greedy Photobucket. Everywhere you go in internet auto land you'll see their wreckage.

Added 32 inch light bar to roof because deer & elk happen fast in NW MT at night.

Mounted light bar to roof with rivnuts & 1.5 inch aluminum angle to stiffen roof & add support for light bar.

Light bar is advertised as 180 W & when on it drops charging voltage only 0.2V, so not too worried. Added a single round 27 W LED light to roof rack in rear for work light. 

0N1cLt.jpg1vRxMP.jpguEM2Ti.jpg

Sand blasted aluminum angle & painted with OD green self etching primer. Allen bolt is 8 mm & philips screws are 1/4-20 for lots of shear in thin roof metal. Sealed to roof with Dow Corning 832 silicone adhesive sealant. Steel rivnuts set into roof beforehand, of course.

MpHDKU.jpg

Added spare tire mount, high lift jack & shovel mounts to roof rack too. 

Tucson AZ trip for weekend. Spent time with sister & brother in law from Friday to Tuesday early AM.

Went to Kartchner Caverns AZ state park. We did tour of "Throne room" & "Rotunda room" - almost 100% humidity & approx 72*F. No cellphone nor cameras are allowed in caves. No multiple layers of clothing are needed to keep warm in that. They'll be changing over to LED lighting to help keep heat down. Bats were in another chamber. Neat stuff.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/

MaQMtw.jpg

Tried out 180W curved light bar in eastern Tucson. Outstanding. Rear 27W work light is just enough too.

Edited by czny
More fun info
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheRustyWolf said:

That is a legit wagon. Just picked up an '86 recently. I'm definitely going to want some of those fog lights for winter here in the PNW.

Any recommendations on fog lights?

Quick search didn't find the same ones I used. But maybe on Amazon or fleabay you might. Here's one result on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-008284811-FF75-Series-Driving-Fog-Light/231668201798

Gotta keep those mounted close in to body if under front bumper,......... PM sent.

• 1 year later...

Been a long time.

Had to replace speedo head in the cluster as oil from the trans moved up the speedo cable & into the drive & driven speedo cups. Erratic speed reading & always when most inconvenient, of course. It's talked about here:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/93332-speedometer-intermittantly-goes-crazy/

EEBxkg.jpg

Pulled speedo cable, flushed out inside & cable with brake cleaner then blew out with air. Ordered a new cable, Pioneer # CA-3108 & they're available from Summit, 48.75 " length so that will accommodate higher lifts . My original cable worked just fine with 4 inch lift. 

Brother P-Touch mileage labels to satisfy my insurance Co when comes time to renew.

Cleaned the heater fan switch contacts & greased them with electronics anti-oxidizer grease. Inside stationary contacts were green with oxides. No fan action at all.

Also deleted the 60k mile EGR switch while I had the cluster apart. Frankenmotor to be installed has no EGR. Why have another light to worry about?

pnvDxsLBj  Right turn arrow in cluster points at EGR trip switch. 2 screws & its gone.

EGR trip switch below...another Cacafornia smog relic,

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/79307-egr-light/

yLT2Um.jpg

Decision to replace the whole speedo head was because of cracked drive gear in head input. Might affect odometer readings if it shattered, eh?

Use electronics contact cleaner only - white body is styrene plastic & melts if you use anything else.

J7pImm.jpg