Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slip-on off-roading?

fishboy

A random question....apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum section:

Suppose I had a two-wheel drive car fitted with ordinary road tyres. Then on the very odd occasion I wanted to take this car off road and needed some decent grip. Rather than drive around with off-road tyres all the time that would be seldom used, is there any kind of product out there that could provide temporary traction in slippery/muddy conditions?

I'm thinking something kind of like snow chains, but more suited to dirt/mud/gravel. Perhaps a kind of knobbly rubber skin that could be temporarily pulled over a tyre? Is there anything like that out there?

The only other option I can think of would be to carry a spare pair of wheels in the boot already fitted with off-road tyres, but I'm trying to keep the weight down.

Ideas?

Only thing that will hold up to the stresses of offroading is going to be an actual tire. That being said, anything that you put on your tires to aid in traction is subject to breaking. If you plan on going off the road then I would suggest a tire that has good reviews for both on the road and off. They are out there just not sure what the choices are for you in Australia.

although designed for snow/ice, something like these could help in an emergency if you're slow and careful;

there are other brands of similar devices, maybe one made for dirt/mud? (they show this one off-road;

)

and nothing would be lighter to carry than rope(make sure it will clear the caliper and dont' destroy your stems);

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

you can get a good compressor to keep with you and just air them way down when you go off the pavement. then inflate again after you come back. find a tire that will run well on low psi and you should be able to greatly increase the traction by lowering the psi.

I bought one for my brother for his birthday that you could set the psi you wanted and it would air down or inflate to it.

added benefit of trail repair of flats

• 5 months later...