Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When starting the car when cold the idle surges... goes up to about 1200rpms, down to about nothing, back up and repeats a few times.... have to pump the gas and keep the idle up for about 5-10 seconds (depending on outside temperature) to keep the car from surging idle. So far it hasnt died... just makes it really hard to drive without letting it sit awhile.

It also does this after not running for a few hours... Say during a work shift... but its not as bad as first thing in the morning.

Coolant temp sensor replaced (from Subaru)

Unplugging the intake sensor shuts the engine off so Im sure thats functioning correctly.

O2 sensor needs replacing (getting horrible gas mileage) which will be replaced this week or next week (was told Bosch universals are okay? or should I just go with Denso?)

Anything else I need to check? Thinking if I cant figure it out Ill take it to GD and have him scrutinize the engine reseal that I did.

The '90 manual trans IAC's were junk. You can try to find a used match but it will most likely be just as bad if you can find one at all. Only good fix for these is to update the computer and the IAC to a '92 - '94 units. Along with the injectors as those were also troublesome.... or perhaps buy a new IAC from the dealer but that will probably be more than the car is worth.

GD

The '90 manual trans IAC's were junk. You can try to find a used match but it will most likely be just as bad if you can find one at all. Only good fix for these is to update the computer and the IAC to a '92 - '94 units. Along with the injectors as those were also troublesome.... or perhaps buy a new IAC from the dealer but that will probably be more than the car is worth.

GD

Upgrade the IAC? I didn't know that. I should do that. I just upgrade all my injectors to redtop and upgrade the ecu as well. Just updating the ecu was a big difference in the way my car idled. I had the same thing about in my legacy (auto though, not manual), and upgrading the ecu and the injectors solved that issue for me. Much better now.

Yup the ECU just plugs right in. Gotta move some stuff around to get to the ECU but the '92-94 ECU plugs right in. The injectors are super easy, just swap the whole fuel rail. Took about 20 min to do! Nice upgrade for sure. It kicks up the idle when you start it like all newer cars do, much better than the stupid '90 ECU.