Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soften rain hardened leather seats

Yesterday, I saw a good pair of leather Outback seats in a '97 at a yard. The passenger seat was perfect, the driver's seat had no tears, but the car has been sitting in the yard for a while with the driver's window half way down. Rain has gotten in, and turned part of the leather into "hard cardboard." I can buy both seats for $75, if I pull. That is a good price.

Is there any leather product available that will bring back leather to be soft and flexible? If so, I will go back to the yard, and buy the seats, and treat the leather. They sure are a lot more comfortable then the standard hard bottomed cloth OEM seats in my 99 OBW.

Thanks for any help.................Rooster2

Mink oil is awesome for leather. Pretty much any product that has mink oil will work pretty well, and with a few heavy treatments it should bring them back.

There is also a product called Lexol I think? that works really well. It comes in like a copper ish colored bottle.

Anything armor-all is crap, don't waste your money on it.

i used lexol to bring back my seats. and every month since. hose them down with the conditioner, not the cleaner. I use my hands to rub it around and work the leather. It contains no petroleum so it won't hurt your hands. It leaves your hands soft as hell afterwards lol.

let it soak in and do a few treatments with a microfiber buff at the end of the last treatment

i used lexol to bring back my seats. and every month since. hose them down with the conditioner, not the cleaner. I use my hands to rub it around and work the leather. It contains no petroleum so it won't hurt your hands. It leaves your hands soft as hell afterwards lol.

let it soak in and do a few treatments with a microfiber buff at the end of the last treatment

Where can Lexol be purchased?

Thanks Larry (Rooster2)

Update.............I bought the seats. My buddy, who helped me snag the seats had a big bottle of Leatherique, so we applied the product to both seats, and he advised covering the seats with large plastic trash bags to help keep the product on the seats from evaporating away.

Today, one day later, I applied my own bottle of Lexol, very heavily without wiping off, and again covered with the trash bags. Already, the leather is softening up, and getting pliable. I will let the seats sit for a while, adding more Lexol in a few days.

I think the seats will rejuvenate to near new. Thanks for advise on Lexol and Leatherique.

Regards..........Rooster2, Larry