Ultimate Subaru Message Board

77 Nissan 280ZX independent rear diff swap

torxxx

ok, I had some time off during work hours today, so I snuck to the junkyard and found 2 R180/R200 ( I can never remember what Nissan used, I just know our Subaru diffs unless they are STi are R160s)

These are the style that used the ujoint based rear axles (independent rear suspension) I know I've seen a lot of talk about how these were sought after because there is a ARB air locker available for the bigger Nissan diff. With winter coming, I'm trying to scavenge all the parts I need for my winter projects. Ideally I'd like to get ahold of both diffs so I can build 2 of them one for me and one for my buddies lifted EJ22T Outback SS.

Who if anyone has used one of these in a Subaru? and if so, what was done to solve the CV axle to ujoint axle issue? I know everyone says that CV shafts aren't supposed to be cut and rewelded, but in all honesty on an offroad rig I cant really see it being an issue because its not like they get ran down the highway at 65 mph to and from work. Our cars are strickly drive 2 miles from the shop to the flats where we go wheeling.

I believe Nissan used R200 diffs on most of the early Zs and the early V6 S12 style Silvia/200sx/Gazelle models. The 4 cylinder S12s had R180s. I am sure they were used on other models since Nissan's of that era are more or less lego-cars like Subarus. In addition to the links above you should try club-s12.org. There is a fair amount of information about the rear diffs on various models in their archives. If memory serves the first big issue you will run into is the spline count. One manufacturer uses 25, the other 23 so you will have to get creative. I don't remember which is which off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...