Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy top hats on 80 gl struts?

mikaleda

After Trying and failing to find the corect top hats for my gl and still having steering issues I was thinking would it be possible to put early legacy style top hats and bearings onto a 80 gl strut assembly? I think I can figure out a way of mounting it to body. Any ideas would be a appreciated

Won't work easily since the EA81 uses two-bolt strut tops and the EA82/EJ uses three bolt. You will have to drill two new holes and the location of the holes is not reinforced to support a load. Fabrication is required to do this correctly.

You can get EA81 strut tops on http://www.rockauto.com

GD

I have already tried rock auto for strut top hats they didn't work at all and if you read my original post you would see I didn't ask about mounting to body I already have a way to reinforce the body to take the three hole strut tops

You can use EA81 top hats on EJ struts, but you cannot use EJ springs and spring seats as the diameter is too large to clear the EA81 wheelwell.

The reason I want to so this is because the bearings in the strut tops are worn out and I can't find the right ones and after doing a set of struts on a 90 legacy I was thinking it might work to replace the top hats on my old subie with that style wich are plentiful around here other than the obvious problems of three holes Into a two hole slot (wich I can do I'm fairly sure) I just want to know weather the top hats will work with the rest of the strut assembly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well I am sorry to say I can't finish this thread I am selling this car. My legacy is broke down overheating again so it's time to do head gaskets and I don't have any money this car took all of my resources. Sorry I can't finsh this thread

That's a shame mate, guess you gotta be able to pay to play unfortunately. Better luck next time. :burnout:

Oops forgot this thread I am keeping it. after posting on my build forum that I was going to sell it the people watching my thread convinced me to keep it. I won't be able to afford do this for a while but since I am keeping this car I will post updates as I get to them

I've seen 2 different types of bearing in ea81 strut mounts. one is a layer of fine needle bearings grouped in a circle, and the other is just a pair of thrust bearings, which should be replaceable with a set from any hardware store....

I would like to keep it stock since I have decided to just slowly restore it. I know what you mean by needle bearings but I don't know what a thrust bearing is. I know the ones I got from rock auto were quite different than my originals.

I will look around in my photo album for this car and see if I can get a pic posted of what my bearings look like

Pic

DSCI0354.jpg

I know this bearing is missing a piece. when I took apart the other side the bearing on the other side had these parts plus one other peice of metal that sat under this peice. This peice consists of a peice of round metal (kinda looks like a washer and a rubber ring.

Is this what you call a thrust bearing Mc Brat?

Edited by mikaleda