Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identifying LSD rear end?

I know that the RX came with a 3.70 LSD rear end, and I was ecstatic to find this out after knowing where one was at a junk yard, and knowing that it still had the rear end in it made me all giddy! Then I got there, and the rear end was missing, and I got super depressed and started kicking myself for not taking it earlier!

I was just wondering what else had an LSD rear end that can be swapped into my XT. I saw this thread and found out that some Legacys have an LSD rear end, but it was a different type that may not be a viable option from a junk yard. I was mostly wondering, without tearing it all apart, how to tell if it's an LSD rear end or not? I would most likely be tearing it down anyways and buying just the guts as it's MUCH cheaper, but I would like to know before taking it all apart what has it.

Just found another thread, should have kept doing my research before posting! :-p

I guess what I'm looking for is a clutch type that will fit into my XT, I've seen a lot of people say that their Brat's had them, did they come with them or were they installed? What all came with LSD rear ends?

I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find what all came with them, I'm still searching away! :burnout:

rx's and automatic full time 4wd turbowagons with the 4at all have the 3.7 lsd. People have converted these to the 3.9 ratio. I have heard rumors that xt6's could come optioned with a 3.9 lsd but I have never actually seen this confirmed. There should be a tag on the diff that tells you the ratio and if it is an LSD or not.

Depends on what you use the vehicle for,If you mainly run in sand or mud then the viscous type lsd actually works pretty good as used in later models,WRX etc.

The hotter the fluid gets the more it locks up so working it harder makes it more effective,Also probably a safer alternative in snowy conditions as they will allow better turn in in 4WD mode causing less understeer and torque lockup in conditions where the tranny can start to bind up because there is not enough slip between front and rear drive axles.

Easiest way to check at the junkyard is get the rear wheels off the ground and rotate one wheel and watch the other. If the other rotates in the same direction it's likely a limited slip diff; if the other rotates in the opposite direction, it's an open diff. Easiest way to check ratio is to pull the cover and count teeth on the ring and pinion gear and divide ring teeth by pinion teeth to get the ratio.

Well my XT6 has full time 4wd with the locking center diff, and it's a daily driver that's going to see a lot of snow in the winter and mud/dirt offroad, and I live in the country so lots of gravel. I also kind of wanted it for drifting since right now it just spins the inside wheels and won't go sideways.

My LSD has LSD imprinted in large letters on the rear of the differential. No letters=open slip differential.
I've seen too many LSDs with the label completely missing. Many people remove them at the junkyard to allow them to return later with the tools to remove the diff only to find someone smarter and quicker had scored "their" diff.

I found an 87.5 GL-10 FT4WD turbo 4EAT wagon with 3.70 gears today with no lever or button for the diff, would this possibly have it? I wasn't able to get under it far enough to find out because the tires are all flat, it's sunk part way into the ground, and it's been lowered so there was just barley enough room to see the corner of the tag to see the ratio. It's at a yard and they want $150 for it, is that too much? Or an ok price for it? I am willing to pay it, just wondering if it's a rip off.

Is this the sticker that's on all LSD diffs?

lsdsticker_small.JPG

If so I just became very depressed because that wagon had the 3.70 up in the top left corner. :( It was a very dirty sticker and only the very top left corner was clean to where I could see it had 3.70 on it, maybe somebody else beat me there and was trying to see if it was LSD too? :Flame:

Edited by Dawsonator

probably, i see lots of clean tags in the junkyard. ive also been known to check the tags of cars awaiting the yard, sometimes they leave em in the parking lot whilst doing paperwork. the clutch type lsd is the black lotus of diff chunks for these guys......rare and sought after mercilessly. and when they do change hands, it aint cheap.

I found an 87.5 GL-10 FT4WD turbo 4EAT wagon with 3.70 gears today with no lever or button for the diff, would this possibly have it? I wasn't able to get under it far enough to find out because the tires are all flat, it's sunk part way into the ground, and it's been lowered so there was just barley enough room to see the corner of the tag to see the ratio. It's at a yard and they want $150 for it, is that too much? Or an ok price for it? I am willing to pay it, just wondering if it's a rip off.
$150 is way too much, even if it's a LSD. Open diff at Seattle PickNPull is $85 after they add in all the extra fees and tax.

probably, i see lots of clean tags in the junkyard. ive also been known to check the tags of cars awaiting the yard, sometimes they leave em in the parking lot whilst doing paperwork. the clutch type lsd is the black lotus of diff chunks for these guys......rare and sought after mercilessly. and when they do change hands, it aint cheap.
Unfortunately, the Datsun 510 group is willing to pay $400 and up for one and that's driven the price out of sight for me.

The only reason to have a lever is for the Hi-Lo option. The only reason to have a button on the shifter is if it is "on demand 4wd" With neither, then you have a 5 speed full time 4wd, and it might say Full Time 4WD on each side in decals. $150 is high. $125 is better if already removed. If no LSD on the label then don't count on it being LSD.

I have two rx clutch pack lsd diffs and wouldent sell for les than 700$ and even then no they are very rare and have oly ever seen two. The turbo legacy ones are cheaper and easyr to find. But still i get 350 $ all day for them and have a wait list for lsd diffs. Oh and i.m a diff tag junkie check e'm all found a lsd in a beater loyale other day why i dont know but somone had put it in there. Keep looking was way more of them in usa than up here