Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crazy thoughts about a Dolphin and an SVX...

Twitch de la Brat

So now that we have Bill's epic bellhousing adapter, I was thinking.

People like to put 4.3 vortec's into Toyota pickups.

A Toyota Dolphin uses their pickup chassis.

A 3.3H6 makes more power than a 4.3V6 and probably gets better mileage.

We have a bellhousing adapter to bolt a 3.3 to a Toyota W series transmission.

The Dolphins often came with the W series 5 speed.

Can you fit a 3.3 between the frame rails on a Toyota?

And if not, is it that difficult to cut out the notches and weld in fresh steel?

So, in all that rambling, do you think it'd be reasonably possible to shoehorn a 3.3, or any Subaru motor for that matter, into a Toyota Dolphin (motorhome)?

Twitch

If that bellhousing had been available 4 years ago when I was deciding what engine to put in my 4runner, I probably would have gone EG33 instead of 4.3...

I think a ~3" Body/Drivetrain lift would be required, as I do not think the heads on the boxer would fit down inside the frame (although I have measured nothing....). This would be much easier with a Solid-axle version, as there's not really anything on top of the frame, the upper arms on the IFS would make it harder.

Everything else would be fairly easy. I don't think it's any longer than a 22RE, 3VZE, or 4.3. And the radiator hoses are in the right place (same diameter, too). Just hook up the Toyota radiator and go.

If that bellhousing had been available 4 years ago when I was deciding what engine to put in my 4runner, I probably would have gone EG33 instead of 4.3...

I think a ~3" Body/Drivetrain lift would be required, as I do not think the heads on the boxer would fit down inside the frame (although I have measured nothing....). This would be much easier with a Solid-axle version, as there's not really anything on top of the frame, the upper arms on the IFS would make it harder.

Everything else would be fairly easy. I don't think it's any longer than a 22RE, 3VZE, or 4.3. And the radiator hoses are in the right place (same diameter, too). Just hook up the Toyota radiator and go.

And with a 2WD that space is pretty much empty up front, unless it has a beam across the front for stability purposes. I've so far been unable to study the dolphin chassis.

Notching the frame shouldn't be too difficult nor too structurally dangerous as long as the gaps are filled and everything is shored back up.

And if its a little scary you can always add reinforcing plates/beams.

Any other thoughts from the Yota guys?

Brian? Zap?

If I can find a cheap Dolphin (they're pretty prevalent around here) I'll be looking at a motor swap for that poor underpowered 22R...

Twitch

I wouldn't be so quick to modify the frame there on an IFS rig. The upper suspension arm bolts to the top of the frame right there where you'd have the most clearance issues. It's not as much of an issue with a solid axle swap, as the axle is actually attached much further back.

I think oil pan clearance would be a non-issue. Look how tall my 4.3 is:

DSCF0897.jpg

I needed 2 inches of extra vertical clearance for the front diff, and a couple fairly small holes in the hood. Height-wise, a Subaru motor would have so much spare room. But I think my 4.3 is too wide to drop through the Toyota frame (had to get aftermarket, "block-hugger" headers to tuck in the narrow toyota frame). I do think the Subaru heads would have to be ABOVE the frame and suspension arms.

Good points.

I forgot about the A-arms.

I bet they probably had a beam axle in those Dolphins. Handling wasn't as big of a concern as weight hauling.

If it does have a beam axle, that would be a lot easier to deal with than IFS.

I wonder how much space you'd have to work with if you had to lift the transmission up to meet the engine.

Those tranny tunnels can't be that big :-/ And custom fabbing something in may be more difficult if not impossible because of it being a motorhome (extra lines and wires and such).

Where is the clutch fork located on those? Is it aimed downward, upward or sideways? And shifter linkage can't be different from a Subaru..

Twitch

They are a true IFS on those things, no shift linkage, it is direct shift, w-series are right hand side clutch fork.

I seriously considered putting an EJ22 into my old 1980 Toyota, but wires scare me

They're not that tough to deal with ;)

And with that info, this could be interesting.

Hmmmm...

Twitch