Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.2L AWD.

The stock tire size is 195x60x15.

I put on 205x70x15.

They rub in the rear. when I go around corners.

Would a small lift or some coil overs do the trick?

I'm taking it back to the tire place to get the right size tires on, but only if they will do it for free. Otherwise I'm going to upgrade the suspension if that is possible.

They rub on the bottom of the spring. No where else.

I was talking to a guy who would sell me these for 350$

http://passwordjdm.com/KSport-Kontrol-Pro-Damper-System-02-07-Subaru-Impreza-WRX--P4950C1901.aspx?UserID=65458421&SessionID=fLDIZ9Rv7Tm73O6DvZSn

I have no idea if they will bolt to my car though.

The thing is that coil overs are a lot thinner than my stock strut and spring, So i feel like that might solve the problem? It rubs a little on the inside of the rears too. Against the strut/spring.

Those coilovers wont directly bolt to your car. The rear strut tops have a slightly larger bolt pattern to them. You can slot the holes to make them fit. Otherwise I recommend going with a set of KYB GR-2/Excel-G struts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-GR-2-STRUTS-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-1995-may-1998-/390384445113?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy%7CSubmodel%3AOutback+Limited%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L&hash=item5ae4b9e6b9&vxp=mtr

Reuse your strut tops if they are still good.

Those coilovers wont directly bolt to your car. The rear strut tops have a slightly larger bolt pattern to them.

No, they will fit exactly. It's the 90-94 Legos that have the smaller bolt pattern.

At any rate, that's probably overkill.

I would simply go to the junkyard and get a whole set off an Outback used.

No, they will fit exactly. It's the 90-94 Legos that have the smaller bolt pattern.

At any rate, that's probably overkill.

I would simply go to the junkyard and get a whole set off an Outback used.

In the OP he stated his car IS an Outback, Jus' Sayin'

So I should get better fuel mileage too xD. The engine will be turning less rpm's while the speed is upped.

That's the theory. But then the engine could be working outside it's "power vs efficiency" zone. You might be lucky and the engine will handle the required power fine and return you some good economy. But if you're cruising with the throttle open further than what you used to do with the stock sized tyres then you're using more fuel over all, even if your revs have dropped by 500rpm (big difference!)

Cheers

Bennie

Actually I did notice something interesting. You would think it shouldn't work this way, but I noticed my car moves along better and steers better with these tires. :/

Oh yeah. And what will I have to do to fix the speedometer difference issue???

New tires always feel better.

You could paint new numbers on the bezel. ;)

What you'll find is that Mr Fuji swapped the speedo drive gear in the gearbox and that the outback instrument cluster is calibrated the same.

What you could look into is a pulse modulator that modifies the signal from the reed switch at the gearbox. I'm 99% sure your subi doesn't have a speedo cable, which means it's all electronic and easier to play with ;) Unfortunately I don't know of a kit that does the job as I've not had the need to ever do this so far - I've only heard about it on the forums.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bennie

What you'll find is that Mr Fuji swapped the speedo drive gear in the gearbox and that the outback instrument cluster is calibrated the same.

What you could look into is a pulse modulator that modifies the signal from the reed switch at the gearbox. I'm 99% sure your subi doesn't have a speedo cable, which means it's all electronic and easier to play with ;) Unfortunately I don't know of a kit that does the job as I've not had the need to ever do this so far - I've only heard about it on the forums.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Bennie

Well I hope your right. I called the dealer and the service guy told me it has a speedometer cable. I don't believe him. I couldn't find a cable anywhere.