Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

Recently I got codes that both cyl. 1 and 2 were misfiring in my EJ22. I had a problem like that in the past but it was only in one cylinder. Turned out to be a plug had gone bad.

What could be causing two cylinders to be misfiring like that suddently? It's too much of coincidence to be a plug or wire to me....

Thanks for any input...

--Damien

Actually when it' s electrical 1&2 or 3&4 miss together. Due to the "wasted spark" ignition system Subaru's use.

Could be a plug, wire, or coil pack.

You can start by moving the wires front to back if you'd like and perhaps change the plugs while you are at it.

If the code follows the plug wires then they are the problem. If not it was a plug(you may have changed out) or the coil pack.

plugs and / or wires are the most common cause if misfires.

the 1&2 combination suggests the coil due to the way it is designed. but the coils are pretty hardy. i think the igniter is a little more likely than the coil but i guess it could be either.

I sell way more used coils than ignitors.

That said it's usually plugs or wires.

Well I worked up enough nerve to twiddle with the wires...

I pulled both wires out, inspected them, and reinstalled them.

Now it seems to run fine again...

Could be the gas, tho...a big, huge depression moved into the area (it's obvious what it is if you live here) and decided to stay...as it often does here in New England.

All the excess moisture in the air may have gotten sucked into the tank...given that ethanol is hydrophilic.

I used to get that problem all the time with a Saab I used to own years ago...

After 5 years of headbanging mania most of us can't wait to get back into depression... :banana:

--Damien

I just barely managed to drive it to the shop today.

On the highway both cylinders completely went cold...I managed to limp it the final 5 miles to the shop (shuddering and all).

Seems like an electrical/electronic failure...I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

--Damien

Well I was completely right. Turns out the crank pulley was failing (part of the timing belt assembly).

But also all four plugs were completely shot.

One symptom I noticed was the crankshaft rotor was getting wobbly...so I wasn't nuts to think it was the timing belt.

The wobble was pretty noticable...so if you see that symptom you'd need to get it in sooner rather than later.

Somehow I managed to limp it for 5 whole miles at highway speed with shot plugs and a failing timing belt assembly!

My mechanic says it's not an interference engine but he said it's been known that when the timing assembly fails on one of those engines it can bend the valves somehow anyway...

Cheers!

--Damien

• 1 month later...

One symptom I noticed was the crankshaft rotor was getting wobbly...so I wasn't nuts to think it was the timing belt.

The wobble was pretty noticable...so if you see that symptom you'd need to get it in sooner rather than later.

I think only the early engines are non-interference. btw, what is the symptom of a wobbly crankshaft rotor? I'm having a misfire with a CEL that new plugs & wires did not fix.