Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Orleans Brat!

belacane

Just a thought since you're a do it your selfer - have you researched the $50. paint job? I've done a few of them over the years and if you're not looking for showroom quality, they really do a good job. Basically use mineral spirits to dilute the paint to make really thin coats that are self leveling and can be applied by a foam roller instead of a spray gun. A car takes 8-10 coats. It's some extra grunt work for a much less expensive paint job. But it's about $50 worth of supplies from Lowes or Home Depot and you've got a car that looks nearly new.

Is this something I could do without any shelter? That's my chief concern. I have nowhere to put her while in process.

I would want to sand off the old paint first... it's all sorts of splotchy and messed up.

I definitely don't need showroom perfect though. Just something that won't let rust through.

I have zero experience painting. 

How long do you think it might take a first timer? From what I've already started reading... a few days at least.

I found this... - http://www.instructables.com/id/Paint-Your-Car-With-Rustoleum/ 

looking through it :)

I may try it with the hood first.

Edited by belacane

Well.. I did it, I just ordered a redline weber conversion kit from JAM Engineering for my '86 Brat

I've been having so much trouble with my old hitachi, I just can't take it anymore. 

I'll keep this updated with details.

I was there too with the hitachi not working right, I think you lasted longer than I though.

You'll be sooooo happy with extra performance!!!

I was there too with the hitachi not working right, I think you lasted longer than I though.

You'll be sooooo happy with extra performance!!!

I sure hope so! I'm not familiar with carbs at all, and this will be my first swap. I hope I can get it working well.

What sort of problems were you having the with hitachi? 

My list about 10 miles long, but the most recent problem was constantly having to reset the idle at the proper place. I'd reset it, and then upon starting it up the next day, it'd be up at 3000 rmps without me having done anything to it in the mean time. 

Edited by belacane

Not sure there is actually any extra performance with a Weber but you will notice the better 'drivability'. It will certainly idle better and not require constant fiddling, unlike the Hitachi. Basically a Weber is 'set and forget'.

Oh yeah, it will certainly sound better too, especially when the secondaries open!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Living in New Orleans, there was bound to be a flood at some point or another.

My little brat flooded the other day (only a few inches above the doors), and I spent today taking out the carpet and the rest of the interior...

I'm hoping to be able to get some body work done on a few rust spots while the seats...etc. are out.

... and so continues the adventure :)

• Like 1

Not sure there is actually any extra performance with a Weber but you will notice the better 'drivability'. It will certainly idle better and not require constant fiddling, unlike the Hitachi. Basically a Weber is 'set and forget'.

Oh yeah, it will certainly sound better too, especially when the secondaries open!

When I changed mine over it was like night and day, much quicker off the line, more getup getting on the highway + faster top end, I've had it up to 90mph on occasion, I do love it.

Did you get your Weber on Belacane?

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got outside and started trying to salvage my carpet from the flood, and also managed to clean up a lot of the interior console parts.  (Does anyone have any tips for demolding a flooded carpet?)

IMG_20150721_175712302_zpsuutnrcai.jpg

Feels good to get something done on the Brat, as I haven't been able to in a while (see above baby =P)

I also found and rented a storage unit where I'm going to keep her under shelter until I can finally afford to do a proper, well done, professional paint job. 

Hoping to put the weber on this weekend.

Other imminent repairs include:

- fixing the original ignition switch

- figuring out what the acc. cable is catching on.

- find some new (and affordable) racing seats to replace the old ones that stink like mold (gosh, I loved those seats!!)

Edited by belacane

• 1 month later...

Well, last weekend, this happened  :)  ;)  :wub:  :clap: 

...finally!

2015-08-23%2016.17.26_zpsxnjoq9p9.jpg

Not drivable though, as I'm still trying to figure out which hoses go where, and what can be deleted altogether.

Also, the interior was flooded and is a bit lacking in seats at the moment :)

2015-08-23%2016.17.16_zpstwwhdhah.jpg

• Like 1