Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thiss swap was different when i put in the 2.2 witch was from a 97 legacy L into a 97 outback 2.5d. I used the engine harness from the 97 2.2 and the ecu from the 97 2.2 and no check engine light ran good and still no check engine light. So ? is thiss 2.2 legacy L or brighton model a canaidian only model. Is that why thiss worked or is thiss just the way the swap should work is the first one without a check engine light. With egr codes the 2.2 brightons never had a egr and the 2.2 ecu plugs right into out back. Did the 2.2 usa legacys L and the brightons come with egr in the usa ? or a diferent emistions programing or standards ?

Based on what I've seen 99 auto, and then starting in 96 all(auto and manual) have EGR. 2.2 and 2.5's

Only other similar change as far as swapping was when they moved the EVAP charcoal canister from up by the radiator to back near filler tube IIR around '98.

US 2.2 automatic models had EGR from '95 to '98.

You can drill and tap the EGR port in the head - 16mm x 1.5. The EGR tube itself is the same between 2.2 and 2.5, and then you just need a 2.2 manifold w/EGR. By this method you can run any 2.2 long block from 90 to 98 without any check engine lights.

I've done somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 or 30 swaps and I've never had a CEL that couldn't be solved.

One thing you run into from time to time is a CEL generated due to incorrect EVAP purge flow. Usually when going from an older 2.5 to a newer 2.2 or vice-versa. The key here is that the purge system must match what the ECU is expecting and the MAP sensor solenoid vent must be plumbed for what the ECU wants - which is either a dump straight to atmosphere with a cap on the vent port or it has to be tee'd back into the purge line between the purge solenoid and the manifold. The ECU actually looks for a change in MAP sensor readings when it operates the purge solenoid on some ECU's and if you don't plumb this correctly you will pull your hair out chasing the P0441 "purge system incorrect flow" code.

GD

ECU's are the same for manual and auto 'til '99 or '00, I believe. I know my '98 Forester's was.

There is AT/MT tranmssion ID pin, which tells the ECU if a TCU/TCM is connected....but no wiring changes are needed when doing the swap.

See attached.

post-6577-136027659875_thumb.jpg

And then i get a 98 outback with 425000kms on it engine never been apart and one owner just blew the headgasket for first time and runs good still. The customer whants me to do heads so she can see how high she cam push the kms on the origanal engine. A bitt scary but hey push it to 500000kms or better