Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good place to buy a stock carb?

My 1981 Brat (with the EA81 engine, hence putting it in this forum) has a shot carb. It's leaking gas out of the throttle bushing.

Unfortunately, I live in California, so a weber is out of the question. It has to be stock.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to buy a remanufactured carb at a good price? I see that National Carburetors has them for $170.00 plus core and that's one heck of a lot cheaper than Rock Auto. But, I'm always a bit wary of a deal that looks too good!

My understanding from previous posts is that the hitachis are a bit tricky, so I'm a bit hesitant to buy without some sort of recommendation from the pros here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ben

Edited by bendecker

It has to be stock. We have very strict smog laws in California. (I edited the original post to make it clear I'm in California, not Canada -- sorry about that )

It's my understanding that in California, if you upgrade to TBI, your car has to pass emissions criteria for the car that the fuel delivery system was taken from. In this case, an 86-92 ea82. I could be wrong of course, but I think that is what other California members have done.

If you go with the stock carb, get a Hitachi for an '83. Unless you work on Hitachis, it's virtually indistinguishable from the '81 and is much better in design...relatively speaking of course.

I have never used National Carbs, but I have never heard anything bad about them either, so I can't help you there.

It's my understanding that in California, if you upgrade to TBI, your car has to pass emissions criteria for the car that the fuel delivery system was taken from. In this case, an 86-92 ea82. I could be wrong of course, but I think that is what other California members have done.

If you go with the stock carb, get a Hitachi for an '83. Unless you work on Hitachis, it's virtually indistinguishable from the '81 and is much better in design...relatively speaking of course.

I have never used National Carbs, but I have never heard anything bad about them either, so I can't help you there.

They show the carbs for 82 and 83 as being the same. Does this match your experience?

Also, anyone else out there in California that has done this with proven smog passing success? (I'm more than just a bit paranoid about the hoops we have to jump through!)

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

Just buy an overhauled unit from National Carburetors INC. It will cost a couple hundred and then you're done. I just bought one for my EA71 and I checked all adjustments when I received it. Everything was in spec and the truck runs very well. I am also facing a smog check here in CA and don't anticipate any problems. I finally bought one after rebuilding my sloppy piece of junk and then buying one on ebay that turned out to be very close but not a correct carb. Make sure to tell them it is for a CA vehicle in case there are differences between it and the Fed carb (sometimes very minor). Good luck.

LOL -- I am most definitely not looking for a big project that is over my head. I just want to keep it simple and put in a new carb. Although a buddy of mine just wrote and says he has the parts and know-how to replace the leaking part.

GD -- do you see any benefit or downside to moving to the '82/'83 version of the carb? Being able to buy a factory new one is very tempting.

No downside per-se - the plumbing may be slightly different but it's nothing you couldn't work out.

The throttle base can be re-bushed by any good carb shop or look online for a reamer and bushing kit for (IIRC) an 8mm throttle shaft....

Better yet - learn to be your own machinist. Parts and tools:

Here's the bushings:

MSC# 06453302

First stage reamer:

http://drillsandcutters.com/PIL.326X.312reamers_piloted_ss.aspx

Second stage reamer:

http://drillsandcutters.com/PIL.375X.326reamers_piloted_ss.aspx

Then tap in your $0.95 bushings. Done and done.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Alas, Ivan, life is too busy for a project like that. Although one never knows about the future...

For now, I'm doing a "2 of the above" -- I bought the factory new carb and am also going to put in the new bushing ala GD's advice in the old one and keep it around as a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

The NOS factory built carb has been installed and my Brat is purring like a kitten again.

There were a couple of plumbing changes that needed to be made -- specifically a couple of vacuum ports that needed to be plugged and one hose needed be lengthened. Pretty simple stuff.

In short, success!!