Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the pass side pulley off, camshaft to pulley pin is gone and the hole the pin used to be in has been destroyed. Looks like it's time for a set of cams and another timing set! No progress on the no spin from the starter though.

I'd inspect the cam journals and head bores VERY closely for wear. Possible the cam locked up and that's why it spun the pulley off. If the timing parts that were on the car don't appear to be that old it could just be somebodies goof after forgetting to tighten the cam pulley bolt. (seal change gone wrong)

That cam can come out with the engine in the car, just have to remove the radiator. (easier said than done?)

I'd inspect the cam journals and head bores VERY closely for wear. Possible the cam locked up and that's why it spun the pulley off. If the timing parts that were on the car don't appear to be that old it could just be somebodies goof after forgetting to tighten the cam pulley bolt. (seal change gone wrong)

That cam can come out with the engine in the car, just have to remove the radiator. (easier said than done?)

Considering the belt looked pretty damn new when I got the timing covers off, and the cam bolt cam off without trying very hard with my standard length 3/8" ratchet, pretty sure it's just a goof. I understand that they will come out with the engine in the car. Still debating if I want to pull both and send the two good ones to delta for a quick re grind while I'm in Texas for a couple weeks...

So, a little update on this basket case of mine.

Replace Cam. Done.

Install new timing set. Done.

Get starter to spin motor. Done.

WHY YOU NO START, SUBARU!!!!

Soo, taking the timing set apart 3 separate times in the thought process of "Oh, I must have just been a tooth off" No dice.

Give GD a call to see if he has any tips for WTF is going on. Reminds me of the counting teeth method on the belt to ensure correct timing. Light bulb clicks so I try again. Get 'er buttoned up, turn the key, spins, but no start.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:zzzzzzzzz:

WTF?!?!?!?!

At this point I'm about ready to start throwing things AND I'm losing a significant amount of light to work in. So I put my tools up and start poking around with my flashlight.

Turn the crank by wrench until D-side cam pulley is where it should be.

:banghead:

Crank and P-side pulley are also no where NEAR where they should be.

Which means my belt jumped. A lot. WTF!!!

So seriously guys, need some help here, either there is something wrong with my parts, or they were installed incorrectly.

Feel free to treat me like an idiot at this point, because I sure feel like one.

EDIT:

Just read through the link concerning 2.2 timing belts here in the USRM. Seems I missed the step of pushing the tensioner back to the left after the belt is installed. Looks like I'll try that in the morning and see if i can get the damn thing to fire. Am also going to pour a few gallons of fresh gas in the old girl. No telling how old the stuff that's in her is.

Edited by wentz912

I'm thinking I'm ok there. I can turn both cams by hand, albeit with a good amount of effort, but I can rotate both of them 360* and they require about the same amount of effort.

I'm just really not looking forward to having to tear EVERYTHING back apart again, compressing the hydraulic tensioner again in a very ghetto fashion, and trying all this again.

BLEH

It runs! And quite well I might add. I was goofing the timing yesterday. Got her set all straight today and even got to drive it! Filled her up with premium in hopes that it will help the mid-throttle buck/hesitation its got going on. It threw a CEL at me just a couple blocks from my house, got them checked out and was found to be a misfire on cylinders 2&3. So, either they are isolated incidents, being on opposite banks and coils, or I just need new plugs and wires. Got the plugs and wires ordered today anyhow. Boy, these things sure do have a lot more pep than my old GL!

In short:

I is happy boy!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well, put down about 110 miles in the old girl. Stumble/miss hasn't gone away yet. NGK wires are supposed to be here at 2. Hopefully that along with a new set of plugs will help cure the old girl. Seems to be running pig rich as well, filled it up yesterday and reset the trip meter. 110 miles later I'm reading at a measly 1/3 tank remaining!

Leaving out of state for work tomorrow morning. Will have more time to work on it when I get back.

You won't get away from the 'pig rich' running; that's just how they are, especially when cold. Subaru stated something like it was because they couldn't know what the vapor pressure of the fuel was, so basically they were going to run her nice and rich so that you could run with summer blend in winter conditions.