Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Carb EA-81 Build

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Mark, Having any luck? During the warm weather the "Trasher" would start every time without the choke.Mine has a manual choke setup.Well now that warm weather is just a memory....Its getting harder to start,very hard.Most cars with a manual choke have a pattern to get it started. Pull all the way out and then 2 pumps or something like that..I can't find that with mine.Its like full choke and pump like crazy then push it in a little and hope it catches....and then pray it keeps running as it warms up. so I'm thinking its a fuel problem cause it starts right up when its warm ,by the sun or just by running.All I have ever done to adjust the carbs was just adjust one ...then the other one...And it seems to be ok..till now.You know mabey i just need a tune up or a hotter coil.Is there such a thing? So Mark ,good luck over there in Big Sky Country hope all is well

• 3 weeks later...
If i wasn't so extendent with bills etc at the moment I mite had been kean for some spares :burnout:

kiwi subbie - wondering if you can help me - how rare are those cold air intakes? Would there be one in NZ that could be sent over to Oz with the right arrangement?

kiwi subbie - wondering if you can help me - how rare are those cold air intakes? Would there be one in NZ that could be sent over to Oz with the right arrangement?

Very rare. Never seen one till I got mine. My one the rubber is all cracked from aging and heat etc

• 1 month later...

progress! I quit one of my jobs so now i have a lot more free time to tinker. The motor is ready to go back into the car, and i am seeing all the parts i am missing.

I dont know what the solenoid looking things on the front of the carbs do or how to hook them up, i am missing some return springs, various linkages and flanges, and the whole upper pivot bar. also i have no idea how to hook up the vacuum ports. :-\

I am also starting to think i dont want this motor in my wheeler wagon... not very much low end torque from what i understand.

progress! I quit one of my jobs so now i have a lot more free time to tinker. The motor is ready to go back into the car, and i am seeing all the parts i am missing.

I dont know what the solenoid looking things on the front of the carbs do or how to hook them up, i am missing some return springs, various linkages and flanges, and the whole upper pivot bar. also i have no idea how to hook up the vacuum ports. :-\

I am also starting to think i dont want this motor in my wheeler wagon... not very much low end torque from what i understand.

I can tell you the soleniods are for the idle circuit, they need ignition switched power to turn them on and when the ignition is turned off so do the solenoids.

I had one of these motors in an MY wagon and in low range it was very hard to bog ... the only way I could bog it was leave the tyres completely inflated and have the car full of people, and as soon as the tyres were deflated it would dig it self out of the sand with 5 people in the car.

TOONGA

progress!!

IMG_20121011_134222.jpg

also, i dont have a throttle link for the motor, so i have to make one.

IMG_20121011_164024.jpg

had to fab up a bracket to hold the link on the passenger side

IMG_20121012_164930.jpg

IMG_20121012_164950.jpg

we've got a powder coating setup at the diesel shop were i work. I love employee perks!

and i decided to paint the hood on the wagon too.

before

IMG_20121013_152937.jpg

after

IMG_20121013_181949.jpg

i had to factory order in a xt6 clutch kit so that is a week out. and i should have that throttle link done by the end of this week.

Great Job! How is it running?

I have a dual carb EA-71 that I just finished.

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/