Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brake Tool 9255 90000

I'm looking at my Bentley manual for how to swap out the front break pads. It calls for the use of a Subaru service tool 9255 90000.

Where can I get this or is there something else I can use instead? I just want to make sure I have everything before I start.

Anything that works to turn the caliper in. You don't push the caliper in with a clamp or press type tool it screws into the caliper. I have used a pipe with notches recessed in it for years and that works good or there is a cube tool that most auto parts stores sell.

For pistons that are hard to turn a channel lock around the outside does work but you have to be careful not to grab the rubber seal and rip it, and if you get deep marks in the piston that could rip the rubber seal. I usually use a channel lock to get it started then a needle nose to finish the job.

• 6 months later...

Ummm, don't use the channel locks on the outside of the piston.     Screw the piston in using the notches on the front - I like the pipe method with notches cut out.   You can make it yourself.  Push and turn with one hand.  1.5" diameter pipe.

If it is difficult, then open the bleeder while turning the piston in. It should get much easier this way. You should also bleed the brakes after doing it this way though.

Or you could use a clear hose going into a bottle with clean brake fluid so that it can't suck up air only clean brake fluid, just make sure there is no air in the hose, just brake fluid.

Like a one man bleeding system.

Edited by mikaleda
  • Like 1

Where did you get a Bentley manual for a Subaru?

They used to be the best after-market manuals,  but they don't cover everything.  Their Corolla manual for the late 70's cars was brilliant, better than the factory one.

• 1 year later...

I forget where I got my Bentley now. It was online somewhere but not Books4Cars. They didn't have it. Maybe Amazon or eBay.

Anyways, I know this post is over a year old but I just got my license back and finally was able to get the work done on the front breaks. I ended up getting a break tool from O'Reilly's and it was fine.

Breaks are feeling a lot better now.

Thanks!