Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1st gen Legacy sedan in near mint condition

LeoneTurbo

This is my 'new' daily driver since beginning of this year:

26092012169.jpg

26092012170.jpg

26092012171.jpg

IMG_0823.JPG

It's a 94 Legacy 2.0 sedan. Unfortunately it left the factory with front wheel drive only but I corrected that issue quickly with a 93 Impreza 5MT AWD transmission with 3.900 diff. In the back is a R160 3.900 plated LSD which came on my 84 Wagon (which is getting a Nissan R200 plated LSD).

I have converted it to LPG which roughly halves fuel cost. Since I do about 50.000 km a year (over 30k miles) that is an issue with gasoline prices at about 1.80 Euro per liter (almost 6 bucks a gallon).

Unfortunately that fual consumption issue is about to get worse next year...

IMG_1418.JPG

3.0r?

Yes sir... I already have the engine and the exhaust, I'm still saving up for a standalone engine management system (Syvecs or Link).

Will be doing a trial fit next month or so when the original engine is out for a more potent JDM 2.0 DOHC (150 hp) so I can measure up how I want the radiator to be (custom) made.

Yes sir... I already have the engine and the exhaust, I'm still saving up for a standalone engine management system (Syvecs or Link).

Will be doing a trial fit next month or so when the original engine is out for a more potent JDM 2.0 DOHC (150 hp) so I can measure up how I want the radiator to be (custom) made.

I bought a transmisison from a guy that is putting an SVX 3.3l flat 6 in a a 1st gen Impreza and he said he is using a raditor from a Saab that fit right between the upper and lower core supports, thus providing enough room for the 3.3. He has to fab up some sort of reservoir fill, which I think he said would also come from a Saab. Seems there are people doing this swap more and more.

As the EZ30R is just 20 mm (0.8 inch) longer than the EJ-series engines, I don't need a special radiator setup (opposed to the EG33 which is more than 4 inches longer than the EJ).

As cooling can be an issue on EZ30R engines I want a good custom aluminum radiator, which also supports the two upper radiator inlets an EZ engines requires.

As the EZ30R is just 20 mm (0.8 inch) longer than the EJ-series engines, I don't need a special radiator setup (opposed to the EG33 which is more than 4 inches longer than the EJ).

As cooling can be an issue on EZ30R engines I want a good custom aluminum radiator, which also supports the two upper radiator inlets an EZ engines requires.

Ahhh...Live and learn. Thanks!!!

So what you're REALLY saying is this guy I bought MY tranny from is doing it wrong!!! Oh well, it'll still be cool to see a 3.3L Impreza!

Not wrong really. The EG33 is a very reliable engine (more so than the EZ-gen engines I think) and also much, much easier to get running as you can use the EG loom and ECU.

But it's bulkier in every way which brings its own share of problems (weight over the front axle, radiator placement etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Not wrong really. The EG33 is a very reliable engine (more so than the EZ-gen engines I think) and also much, much easier to get running as you can use the EG loom and ECU.

But it's bulkier in every way which brings its own share of problems (weight over the front axle, radiator placement etc).

ok, wrong may have been the wrong word to use...the hard way? IDK...he said he was kind of tired of tuning and wanted to try something different and the EG33 is the direction he went.

• 1 month later...

I could not justify the cost of a standalone management to power an EZ30R engine with AVCS so I have chosen to get a first gen EZ30D and run it on a stock 2001 loom and ECU. These engines are cheap to get in Japan (250 bucks a pop) and I ordered a new US loom for under 500 to cut up. Now looking for a used 01 ECU.

EZ30D.jpg

That means I can/will have to sell that exhaust and get a set of OBX headers off Ebay.

Edited by LeoneTurbo