Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW auto tranny 206k

My turn signals are acting odd, the left signal specifically. At first I thought I had a bad bulb because when signaled left, it would click fast, but no light on the dash. But, thanks to my laziness, I did nothing about it. At some point I noticed that this was intermittent.

This is where it gets weird...it isn't intermittent. I can wiggle the stick and make it work. It's like there's an issue with the contacts inside the stick.

I did a search and couldn't find this discussed. Has anybody dealt with this in the past? Any ideas on the problem, how to diagnose or fix?

I just went through this myself, on my 2000 OBW with 150K. It has been acting exactly as you describe for several years. Dealer assured me it was the bulb but I knew otherwise, as I had changed the bulb, checked the wiring, etc. Finally replaced the stalk and problem solved. Got it from RockAuto for about $65.

Yes it is a DIY provided you are sufficiently limber to lay on the driver's seat, on your back, with your head under the dash.

What else you got on that parts car?

I could also use a new passenger side seat heater switch ( or my wife could), the heated mirror switch, and a functioning auto dimming mirror

Regardless, I'll take the stick, thanks! Pm me to work out paying for it.

$24 shipped Priority mail if you want mine or I could send it FedEx Ground for less. I have an extra from my 2001 Outback parts car.

Interesting, 2000 Outback here, and within the last six months it has started doing this, yes on the left turns. Once in a while I will hear a fast clicking and the signal won't come on.

How hard is it to replace the stalk?

So yes need to get that patched up before next spring because that could be a major safety issue. Now I find myself looking down every time I left signal to make sure it's actually flashing.

I remember seeing someone else post about this issue with the turn signal some years back, I thought they said they cleaned it out somehow, like there was a dried out grease inside or something?

Driver's side power window up switch is also really funky, it only works sometimes and you have to really fiddle with it.

I'd love to find that post from a few years back! I gave it a good look but found nothing. If I can manage to get a used one, I might as well just replace it.

I haven't dug into the column yet, but I would imagine it involves removing the plastic covers and, because it's never that easy, there's probably something that needs to be moved out of the way. Then, based on photos of the new part that I've seen, it's a couple screws holding it to the column and really big plug.

I hope it's that easy!!!

Yes we'll have to take a look in the manual. I have a hardcopy of the FSM I bought off ebay years ago. I don't drive the 2000 in the winters here because it's my only non-rusty soob, whereas my '96 and '94 well their days are numbered strictly because of the rust.

That post I'm thinking of, it *might* have been referring to the power window switch, but I just can't remember, I thought it might have been to do with the turn signals. I remember burying that in the back of my mind in case it happened to me, which it now has.

• 1 month later...

In case dy down the road searches for ear turn signal problem, I wanted to close this. This was one of the easiest repairs I've ever done to this car. It's 5 screws, two of which are a lot easier to see from below the column but my knees and back never touched the ground or the carpet. Having not been in there before, I took off about double the panels then were needed so what took 20 minutes would only take me 10 next time.

I bought a new one because it sounded like it would be a horrible job and the risk of having to do it twice was too great. I could have bought a used turn signal switch on eBay for $35, shipped. Instead I paid $120 to buy a new OEM one. Buy th eBay one!

Here's what you do...

Remove the one screw holding the plastic trim under the column and remove the trim. You will have to flip the column adjuster lever under the column down to get it off, that took me a bit to figure out.

Locate the two screws holding the top plastic trim piece and remove them. This may require you to look underneath the column.

Remove the two screws holding the turn signal switch to the column and unplug.

Put it back together with the new one and you're done. Really really simple!

Thanks for the update. I'm going to be replacing it on '00obw too, the part is on the way. In my mind failure of the turn signal to come on from time to time especially for left hand turns can be a major safety hazard so yes let's get these patched up!~ I ended up picking up a genuine stalk from Dan Perkins since I had extra Subaru bucks available. The price was about $85 so that's roughly what the aftermarket cost too. The Subaru turn signal switch stalk assembly installation was pretty simple too, just five slotted JIS screws in all to do the job.

Edited by porcupine73