Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would go as a secondary, placing it between the tranny and the raditor. Keep in mind that the heat exchanger in the radiator serves two purposes. Not only does it help cool the transmission, but it also helps it warm up faster. If you put it after the radiator you may be keeping the tranny too cool.

I would hjave to look it up.

There is always such a thing as too cool. All liquids have an optimal operaiting temp. When they are cold, they are thick. This means everything has to work harder as they are resistant to being pumped. The tranny also will hold gears longer when cold to aid in the warmup of the transmission. If you live in a very cold climate I would suggest a Thermostat on the line. IN all honesty off hand I forget which is which I would have to look it up

I install one separate, dedicated cooler rather than both. I don't like the extra failure points of having both - I want as few hoses and clamps as possible, it gets sloppy with all those extra hoses and clamps and is twice as likely to fail (though the risk is miniscule).

That being said, i totally understand and hear the issue with temps and too much cooling and heating. So far i've never had an issue so I'm not worried about it.

I install one separate, dedicated cooler rather than both. I don't like the extra failure points of having both - I want as few hoses and clamps as possible, it gets sloppy with all those extra hoses and clamps and is twice as likely to fail (though the risk is miniscule).

That being said, i totally understand and hear the issue with temps and too much cooling and heating. So far i've never had an issue so I'm not worried about it.

But you are in coal (coughcoughchristmasiscomingcough) country and fairly temperate. Running it through my head, without the t-stat still just 4 clamps and two hoses.

IN all my years of doing these on small displacemnt engines I have always put them before. I have also always installed them with temp gauges too. NOw if you live someplace hot it wont matter that much, but places with real winters it would.

Handy chart

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

Sort of why subaru recomends 36000 mile fluid changes. With a cooler

My temp sensor is in the hotest spot, the feed to the cooler. My driving (NYC stop and go) I have seen it as high as 100 over ambient, but that is peak summer).

Anything over 275 is bad, 200 is on the lower end of high, and 175 is just right on average). If you live in a hot climate all year round then I would go after.

Edited by nipper

Running it through my head, without the t-stat still just 4 clamps and two hoses.

normally: one hose to and from the cooler = 2 hoses and 4 clamps.

with Both in place it's now:

1 hose from trans to rad

1 hose from rad to cooler

1 hose from cooler to trans

so we are both a bit off - it's now 3 hoses and 6 clamps instead of 2 hoses and 4 clamps. 50% increase in risk and failure modes.

Always the difficult child ...

:popcorn:

Well getta loada dis:

My Baja has a rubber line off the tranny, then a hard line forward, then another rubber line to the factory in-port. Same collection going back to the tranny. So that's 4 hoses and 8 clamps from FHI. Adding an aux cooler only adds 1 hose w/2 clamps. So, the additional failure points aren't even as high as problem-child claims on the Baja. :-p :D

Anyway, OP's climate is very mild. Frankly, it would surprise me quite a bit if either cooling OR heating is needed very much where he is (I spent round-about 30 years just a little ways north of there).

Well getta loada dis:

My Baja has a rubber line off the tranny, then a hard line forward, then another rubber line to the factory in-port. Same collection going back to the tranny. So that's 4 hoses and 8 clamps from FHI. Adding an aux cooler only adds 1 hose w/2 clamps. So, the additional failure points aren't even as high as problem-child claims on the Baja. :-p :D

Anyway, OP's climate is very mild. Frankly, it would surprise me quite a bit if either cooling OR heating is needed very much where he is (I spent round-about 30 years just a little ways north of there).

Actually the dri-************tiez has a very off the wall climate. It changes unexpectedly.